Car & Driver 10 best oils. Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say , there are several , name brand , synthetic oils that I would also consider . And it also does not take into account old duffers like me that run shorter than " normal " OCI's . Usually change at about 50% on the OLM .

Sounds like the author reached out to whoever would pay him enough to get their brand featured.

It's why I can't get into the popular "hot rod" magazines. Many of the writers of those articles couldn't tell a camshaft from a crankshaft. They just write whatever the magazine's sponsors pay them to write.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Sounds like the author reached out to whoever would pay him enough to get their brand featured.

It's why I can't get into the popular "hot rod" magazines. Many of the writers of those articles couldn't tell a camshaft from a crankshaft. They just write whatever the magazine's sponsors pay them to write.
It's not as much "hot rod" mags as those are geared towards people who actually wrench and have technical info, magazine project cars, etc or at least they did when I read them fifteen years ago (long time I know lol). Although I'm sure the decline in print media has ratcheted up the shilling a few notches. Hot Rod and Car Craft were sort of lifestyle magazines too, covering car shows and racing events. They also had sections where people could write in and get technical problems answered.

The ones that are geared toward new cars reviews and new products are the worst for shilling, as their target audience has more disposable income I guess. They are the real shills for NADA, never giving any cars a bad review and never comparing cars against each other with any real criticisms or insight. They just want you to spend money on new cars, or needless services. That's where the seven year tire lifespan and oil aging out in your car's sump nonsense comes from. TBF, the Toronto Star used to have a half-page section where they would review a used car model and discuss what it's known mechanical weak points were and the average prices. I used to look for that section specifically in the wheels section every saturday.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
That was a very odd selection of motor oils if one considers the viscosities used by today's popular cars.

Agree. A lot of stuff on Yahoo is computer generated with algorithms. The interwebs are full of this stuff.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

The ones that are geared toward new cars reviews and new products are the worst for shilling, as their target audience has more disposable income I guess. They are the real shills for NADA, never giving any cars a bad review and never comparing cars against each other with any real criticisms or insight. They just want you to spend money on new cars, or needless services. That's where the seven year tire lifespan and oil aging out in your car's sump nonsense comes from.

7 year tire lifespan is not nonsense, as tires get older the tread becomes harder, so even if you have low mileage on them and they have full tread, it's safer to replace them roughly around the 7 year mark as your cornering and braking ability is very compromised. There are many people that say one of the reasons that Paul Walker died is because that Carrera GT was still on it's original tires and they were too old and rock hard to handle the cornering speeds they were subjected to that day.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on there-since when is synthetic BLEND Motorcraft a full syn oil? Missing about 4 examples, too. Not that any of the 6 were necessarily bad, but we all know PQIA is a better source of oil info than some random Yahoo ridiculousness.

I doubt that any of those parts store oil jug formulations is identical to the factory fill in any of the vehicles mentioned. Not even Motorcraft is factory fill in Fords. The car makers are not oil producers of course so they contract out to somebody.

Already spotted an error. Mobil 1 European Formula 0-40 is not what is recommended by GM for LT1 and supercharged Corvettes. What is recommended is Mobil 1 ESP 0-40 Dexos2 This oil is available at some Chevrolet dealers, and some Mobil lubricant distributors,

Originally Posted by Patman
7 year tire lifespan is not nonsense, as tires get older the tread becomes harder, so even if you have low mileage on them and they have full tread, it's safer to replace them roughly around the 7 year mark as your cornering and braking ability is very compromised. There are many people that say one of the reasons that Paul Walker died is because that Carrera GT was still on it's original tires and they were too old and rock hard to handle the cornering speeds they were subjected to that day.
Where are the expiry dates printed on tires? I have never seen them. Where are the safety inspections that take tire age into account? I have never seen them. Where are the cars with 7+ year old tires? On the road everyday, my car included.

Prove it with evidence, not hearsay and tire shop marketing wank. I can understand that performance may degrade, but my old tires are plenty grippy and have not exploded on the highway. I've never seen a tire age test performed, I wonder why that is?

You can bet if it was a real safety issue the tire companies would lobby governments to introduce expiration dates on tires. They can buy the automotive media to spread lies, but they can't lobby governments without actual evidence.....yet.

Tires have a date code on them that shows when they were built, so it's not an expiry date but it does help you decide when to replace them if they are too old. It's not BS, Tire Rack has a very good article on it (and yes, I know they sell tires, but they aren't known to BS people either)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

and here's another good article

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

I wouldn't play with fire if I were you. It's an old saying, but it's true, the only thing that separates your car from the road is your tires.

Sorry, but this list is really silly.

It really just looks like someone started listing high performance cars and then asked themselves, "I wonder what oil is recommended for that car", then made a list of those oils for you to use in your grocery-getter.

Originally Posted by Patman
Tires have a date code on them that shows when they were built, so it's not an expiry date but it does help you decide when to replace them if they are too old. It's not BS, Tire Rack has a very good article on it (and yes, I know they sell tires, but they aren't known to BS people either)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

and here's another good article

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

I wouldn't play with fire if I were you. It's an old saying, but it's true, the only thing that separates your car from the road is your tires.

Tires between 7 and 10 years old have no business being on the road. Not only are you endangering yourself-but others. If someone ever caused an "at fault" accident on old tires-the other party would sue for any assets you owned-or will own. Try to explain how you know old tires are safe-and you know more than the industry that makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back