Car dealer Sticker markup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much all vehicles are luxury vehicles with way too many options.
Not everyone wants to drive a beater Crown Vic or similar vehicle. Owners are keeping their vehicles longer-they want them to be nice places to spend time in.

I know it's a badge of honor on here to drive some stripper $2,000.00 beater to 300,000 miles or beyond-but that's not what most people aspire to......

Last edited:
Seeing you are in Ohio, that may be why you were able to get them lower being the plant is in Marysville Ohio. Being in the south, I have worked at Honda as a tech, and know a whole lot of people who have bought Hondas and the only discount are factory rebates, college graduate, or first responder which is only $500.00 of of MSRP. If you try and deal, they tell you the deal is already in the MSRP, if you don’t buy it, someone will come in here and buy it. I bought several Hondas and paid what that MSRP was. As a Honda employee the max is 20% off MSRP.

There are places that will give a buyer that song and dance; however, the shrewd buyer knows that there are dealers that would rather do a skinny deal than none at all.
I bought new Accords in 1985 and 89. There were dealerships that stated that price was MSRP or above. One that I visited was 2K over sticker. When he saw me walking to the door, he dropped the 2K over.
I didn't stop walking. I found a dealership (and salesperson) who was willing to deal. Even though I can't remember the exact figures, I was over 2K under sticker on both.
The worst deal that I ever made on a Honda was on a 2000 Odyssey. That was when the then new body style came out, and waiting lists and pricing at or above sticker was commonplace. I ended up at $400. off MSRP. Since my wife's Mercury van was just repurchased under the Lemon Law, she needed a car and I didn't have many options. I was able to get it in 6 weeks, vs. the 6 month minimum wait at other dealers.
Traded that off on a 2006 Odyssey. That was $4500. off of sticker before we even discussed a trade.
Next Honda that I purchased was the '12 Accord in my signature. It was a leftover when the 13's were out. There was some "Additional Equipment" involved as they had tarted it up on spec. I purchased that one 5K off of the Mulroney sticker. Dealership claimed they lost $1600. on the deal. I told them that it was 1) a year old car, and 2) they were the ones that accepted the deal.
I actually live about 25 miles from the Honda plant in Marysville. When I was shopping the Pilot, I got a quote from the dealer just down the highway from the plant on Rt. 33. That was the second highest quote that I received. The one that I purchased was over $4200. cheaper than the quote that I received from that dealer. I purchased from a dealer in West Virginia.
Cars.com, Auto Trader, as well as forums dedicated to the make/Model of vehicle in question, coupled with an internet connection, an e mail address, a business like mentality/attitude, and some geographical flexibility will get you the best deal on virtually any mainstream vehicle.

Yeah, it don’t work like that down here bud. You can get a Toyota here for a nice amount below MSRP, maybe 500 above invoice. As far as Honda, you can forget it. Your lucky in your region sounds like. I have bought Nissans, Toyotas, Mazdas and got good deals on them like 600 over invoice. Buying Hondas I paid for them full price baby.

There are places that will give a buyer that song and dance; however, the shrewd buyer knows that there are dealers that would rather do a skinny deal than none at all.
I bought new Accords in 1985 and 89. There were dealerships that stated that price was MSRP or above. One that I visited was 2K over sticker. When he saw me walking to the door, he dropped the 2K over.
I didn't stop walking. I found a dealership (and salesperson) who was willing to deal. Even though I can't remember the exact figures, I was over 2K under sticker on both.
The worst deal that I ever made on a Honda was on a 2000 Odyssey. That was when the then new body style came out, and waiting lists and pricing at or above sticker was commonplace. I ended up at $400. off MSRP. Since my wife's Mercury van was just repurchased under the Lemon Law, she needed a car and I didn't have many options. I was able to get it in 6 weeks, vs. the 6 month minimum wait at other dealers.
Traded that off on a 2006 Odyssey. That was $4500. off of sticker before we even discussed a trade.
Next Honda that I purchased was the '12 Accord in my signature. It was a leftover when the 13's were out. There was some "Additional Equipment" involved as they had tarted it up on spec. I purchased that one 5K off of the Mulroney sticker. Dealership claimed they lost $1600. on the deal. I told them that it was 1) a year old car, and 2) they were the ones that accepted the deal.
I actually live about 25 miles from the Honda plant in Marysville. When I was shopping the Pilot, I got a quote from the dealer just down the highway from the plant on Rt. 33. That was the second highest quote that I received. The one that I purchased was over $4200. cheaper than the quote that I received from that dealer. I purchased from a dealer in West Virginia.
Cars.com, Auto Trader, as well as forums dedicated to the make/Model of vehicle in question, coupled with an internet connection, an e mail address, a business like mentality/attitude, and some geographical flexibility will get you the best deal on virtually any mainstream vehicle.
monroney

I don’t see how prices can come down. Sure, dealers charge what they can get away with. But it costs a certain amount to make a car, and it’s not getting cheaper. And whatever a dealership has to make on a car sale in order to keep the lights on is likewise not going to get cheaper.
True, but the prices they're charging right now are nothing but gouging...if they sold everything at MSRP they'd still be making healthy profit margins...

These are exactly the idiots causing these insanely high prices...Stop doing this!
Friend here in the Phoenix area purchased two new Escalades @ 25k "over" sticker. ???????????? Why can dealers get away with this??? Well.... because people with money want what they want... and every dealer known to mankind will gladly make that transaction happen for the right price. Don't get me wrong... I think paying LIST price is ludicrous.
There are only two ways to prevent something like this from happening - A Law written and enforced, or.... hope that no individual with any sense would ever do something like this. Which do you think will happen first? Yup..."Free country" as they say... I couldn't do it myself.... No way in $&$* would I ever give a dealer "more". Greedy %&(^ they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back