Car Dealer Pushing Back on Getting Vehicle Inspected Before Purchase

The odd thing to me is it's Enterprise. You would think it wouldn't be an issue, but apparently it is. They said they "don't want anyone messing with our vehicles but us".

Maybe a chain of custody thing in case something happens later. Could very well be a legal decision by their corporate offices to prevent future liability, expecially if they rent the truck out again.

Jeez, guys, relax, I'm just being the devil's advocate here. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying why they may have the policy that they have in place.

7 day guarantee. Find something wrong then bring it back. TO THEM, that's pretty clear and easy. No need to get anyone else involved. It never leaves their sight. No chance of dealing with some yahoo who gets in a fender bender while taking it somewhere else for a second opinion.

That makes total sense FROM THEIR POINT OF VIEW which is all I'm saying. You gotta be careful, yes, but not everything is a scam.

No, most everything is a scam...

The odd thing to me is it's Enterprise. You would think it wouldn't be an issue, but apparently it is. They said they "don't want anyone messing with our vehicles but us".

Maybe a chain of custody thing in case something happens later. Could very well be a legal decision by their corporate offices to prevent future liability, expecially if they rent the truck out again.

Not sure the relevance, are you renting the truck or buying it?

You have one week to return the vehicle? No strings attached?
Then if you want it, buy it, return it if you don't.
Carmax and Caravana work much the same way but the details for you are in the details of the dealers return process. Oh, its Enterprise. Bought two cars from them in the last decade or so, never had one checked out but never had a clunk either. Pretty much a quick test drive and we took it home. Its possible if I remember that they still had the factory warranty because of the low mileage.
Ah... yeah, that clunk, if your uncomfortable then walk away.

Our ‘22 4Runner took some light rear end damage a month ago. Talking with the body shop owner made me realize Carfax is worthless. He’s seen shredded cars underneath, but they had clean records.

Had I not reported mine, it’d still be “clean” as well.

I reported 6 claims on the evo, only 3 showed up on carfax and none on autocheck but they all know my oil changes were on time (y)

Thank guys! The dealer is providing a one year warranty also, but I'm going to pass. I just don't trust the vehicle based on what I heard (both the truck and the sales folks). I think they do honestly believe they are selling a good vehicle and it is their policy to not allow inspections as the "inspector" may screw them over. But they don't have to believe the inspection report either, and they will find someone else to buy it most likely.

I'll spend my 40K somewhere else
Yeah, why get into a situation like this one. Smart decision.

I had no idea Enterprise would rent a vehicle with a gooseneck. Did Enterprise possibly take this truck in on trade? I know you mention about "renting the truck out again"- but still at a loss on Enterprise doing daily rentals on pickups with goosenecks.

I had no idea Enterprise would rent a vehicle with a gooseneck. Did Enterprise possibly take this truck in on trade? I know you mention about "renting the truck out again"- but still at a loss on Enterprise doing daily rentals on pickups with goosenecks.
Apparently, Enterprise bought the truck at auction - not sure though. It has a gooseneck hitch (aftermarket installation). They are renting it out at the same time they are advertising it for sale. I believe that's why they don't want me to take it somewhere to get it inspected. I don't know why that matters though - I could just rent it for a few days and have it inspected then. They wouldn't be any wiser for it, and I would have the info.

However, I find that to be disingenuous and not for me.

I'll just pass on it.

You didnt say who was paying the inspection fee. You offer to pay the dealer and there is no reason why they should refuse. If they still refuse, then they are hiding something.

RUN!

Back