Car Dealer Pushing Back on Getting Vehicle Inspected Before Purchase

Their lack of flexibility may not necessarily mean they are hiding anything, but they have rules and their own techs to inspect it and a 7 day return policy so from their point of view, what you're asking is unnecessary. Can't really blame them.
Ya right , not worth the hassle if they were legit why would they refuse a third party inspection when your paying for it ...

Just level with them as to what your concern is.

If it clunks loudly, then demonstate the clunk to the salesperson and the service manager. Tell them that they have to fix it as part of the sale. Make it clear that you will not take delivery of the truck, with it sounding like that.

If they refuse to do anything to fix it, then you're done. You walk away.

Their lack of flexibility may not necessarily mean they are hiding anything, but they have rules and their own techs to inspect it and a 7 day return policy so from their point of view, what you're asking is unnecessary. Can't really blame them.

Well, why woold they deny an independent PPI?

Does not compute.

Unless they are hiding something, no reputable dealer is going to deny permission to have a used vehicle professionally inspected. I can see where they might have a problem with where you are having the inspection done. In the past they may have had problems with a competitive dealer purposely giving bad inspections (yes, this sort of thing DOES happen), so there is that possibility. Ask them point blank. You really shouldn't have to tell them where you are taking it, but, the dealer does have the right to reject an inspector that they have had past problems with, after all, it is their truck.
If it were me, I would just move on.

In the perfect world, I’d agree with you. You’re assuming it’d be a hassle free return. Hopefully you’re right.

I hate Carfax! Now they even know when I have my tires rotated!

Ask the dealer if he'll give you 7 days before you write the check! :ROFLMAO:

Our ‘22 4Runner took some light rear end damage a month ago. Talking with the body shop owner made me realize Carfax is worthless. He’s seen shredded cars underneath, but they had clean records.

Had I not reported mine, it’d still be “clean” as well.

It depends on certain variables such as what state that the vehicle has been titled in. In Illinois and Kentucky, for example, those states allow for what is commonly referred to as "title scrubbing" which can read a vehicle the Branded title of such a mark. I had a 2003 Subaru Outback that was declared a total loss in the state of Illinois, I came to find out nearly 12 years later that the title had been scrubbed and the car had been fixed and resold. How do I know? Because that exact same car was traded into me at my Subaru dealership 12 years later and the owner had absolutely no idea about the catastrophic accident that vehicle had been in 12 years earlier while I was driving it in a blizzard.

Jeez, guys, relax, I'm just being the devil's advocate here. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying why they may have the policy that they have in place.

7 day guarantee. Find something wrong then bring it back. TO THEM, that's pretty clear and easy. No need to get anyone else involved. It never leaves their sight. No chance of dealing with some yahoo who gets in a fender bender while taking it somewhere else for a second opinion.

That makes total sense FROM THEIR POINT OF VIEW which is all I'm saying. You gotta be careful, yes, but not everything is a scam.

It takes a lot of faith to give someone a bunch of money and hope to get it back.

Also when I buy used vehicles, there is often as much unseen stuff as what I pick up over my 15 minute inspection. This truck has been run hard enough to blow U-joints, how is its transmission holding up, etc?

And since the dealer can't be assed to change a $20 U-joint for an obvious gremlin, what else won't they do?

I agree, if they won't let you have it looked at by "your mechanic" ie: the Dodge dealer up the road then walk away. If they really wanted to sell you that vehicle then they'd have no objections if they felt very comfortable with that truck.

I would consider that a minor request and really anyone that really wants to sell you a vehicle should at least be able to accommodate. Maybe they just don't want to have to pay for the dealer to look at the vehicle?

Thank guys! The dealer is providing a one year warranty also, but I'm going to pass. I just don't trust the vehicle based on what I heard (both the truck and the sales folks). I think they do honestly believe they are selling a good vehicle and it is their policy to not allow inspections as the "inspector" may screw them over. But they don't have to believe the inspection report either, and they will find someone else to buy it most likely.

I'll spend my 40K somewhere else

I know it's a moot point, but having an inspection will only impact the potential sale to you. If you get it inspected and walk away, all they're out is a little lost time. By saying "no inspection", they're just saying "don't waste our time" if you're not buying it now.

Back