Car Dealer Pushing Back on Getting Vehicle Inspected Before Purchase

I'm looking at a 2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman with approximately 70K miles. I asked about taking the truck to get it inspected by the Dodge dealership right down the road (less than a 1/4 mile) but the Dealer says no. Dealer says they do their own inspections and I have 7 days after purchase to have it checked out and return it If I don't like the vehicle.

They did give me the Carfax and it looks pretty good. However, this was a corporate owned truck and it has a gooseneck hitch installed. The rear axle was serviced by Jiffy lube at 30K and 60K with a "flush and fill". When I put the truck in reverse it clunks really loudly, almost sounding like a bad u-joint or slack in the differential.

I'm guessing, but someone may have towed heavy and caused excessive wear on those components.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I'm looking at a 2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman with approximately 70K miles. I asked about taking the truck to get it inspected by the Dodge dealership right down the road (less than a 1/4 mile) but the Dealer says no. Dealer says they do their own inspections and I have 7 days after purchase to have it checked out and return it If I don't like the vehicle.

They did give me the Carfax and it looks pretty good. However, this was a corporate owned truck and it has a gooseneck hitch installed. The rear axle was serviced by Jiffy lube at 30K and 60K with a "flush and fill". When I put the truck in reverse it clunks really loudly, almost sounding like a bad u-joint or slack in the differential.

I'm guessing, but someone may have towed heavy and caused excessive wear on those components.

Buy somewhere else.

RUN!

RUN! RUN as fast as you can!

So they gave you a carfax... does the non-dodge dealership have paperwork on their inspection?

For an "As-is" warranty used vehicle, I would run away, and try to find one at a dodge dealership, preferably a Certified Pre-Owned which comes with an additional warranty.

Their lack of flexibility may not necessarily mean they are hiding anything, but they have rules and their own techs to inspect it and a 7 day return policy so from their point of view, what you're asking is unnecessary. Can't really blame them.

You should ask why they don't let you get it inspected at the dealership down the street first.

In fact, ask them specifically are you hiding something about the truck and that's why you don't want it to get inspected by "factory trained and certified" mechanics? And then see what their reaction is.

OP, seriously. There should be no objection if you are going to spend money there.

Thank then for their time, then RUN or *click* as the Sheryl Crow chorus says...

RUN BABY RUN BABY RUN BABY RUN BABY RUN. Do not walk!!

There's no legitimate reason to prevent you from having an independent inspection performed. It could potentially save a lot of time and trouble buying a car and then returning it. If they won't be flexible enough to allow you do due diligence, ask them nicely to get bent. Not that they'll care, because they'll sell it the next day in this market.

but they have rules and their own techs to inspect it and a 7 day return policy so from their point of view, what you're asking is unnecessary. Can't really blame them.
And who do you think the tech is going to support In a claim? A stranger off the street or the company that puts food on his table? In a perfect world it wouldn’t matter, but in todays world ‘caveat emptor’ !

Back