Car batteries made in China

There are large numbers of sealed lead-acid UPS batteries made in China. Cost has been driven down to about half of what they used to cost.

Back 20 years ago in order to keep cost down I used to buy used batteries that had been rolled out of medical equipment after two years use. Once made in China batteries came onto the market at the same price as those used batteries I stopped buying the used batteries.

Why can't UPS have rates like. It would probably cost $100 to ship a battery across the U.S. but its only $3 from across the world.

Look at what a massive cargo ship hauls vs a UPS semi trailer or UPS truck. I work for UPS. The real question, is how can UPS compete against FedEx Ground, which uses cheap 3rd party mules that pay it's drivers a crap wage and benefit package while I make over $40 an hour at UPS with free health care and I'll get to retire at 57 with a pension.

Handling lead paste and finished lead with bare hands as well as inhaling it's fumes. Using supfuric acid. Melting unknown plastic. No wonder nobody in that video looks much over 40.
I just want to know how their clothes don't have holes in it from the acid.

Once you load a shipping container and load it on a ship the price per battery is very small.
It will be pretty inefficient to ship batteries (anything small and dense, actually) by ocean container. A container has a weight limit and with batteries, I suspect they can't be filled from floor to ceiling with batteries but you'll still fit a lot in there. At the end of the day, more and more batteries sold in NA are from overseas, so it works.

and they shipped them to my storage facility in a ship container. The duffel bags retailed for $40 each. Buying them in bulk they were $25 each. Shipping was $600
What century was this in ? At $600, I think the ocean freight was covered and you only paid the "final delivery fee", i.e. the cost to deliver the container from a container yard to your location.

The issue of EPA regulations pushing manufacturing to China is evident in the pharmaceutical world. A lot of our antibiotics are manufactured in China via fermentation. I was told it's because fermentation is messy business and China doesn't mind the pollution as much as we do so they can do it cheaper. Although, China is cleaning up its air these days. They're getting better.
I suppose that's why they are buying "pristine" land over here because there land is getting trashed. Perhaps that balloon-recon mission was to see what else we have available.

Here in AZ. land.... we have the Saudi's pumping millions of ground water gallons for "their" Alfalfa fields. All that hay gets shipped back to their country to feed their horses, cows. Meanwhile, we have communities here without ANY water at all....

Yeah, the world makes no sense to me at this point. Last Walmart battery I looked at had generic venting ports (Didn't work for my car) and Walmart told me they don't make different batteries anymore.... take or leave it...

So yeah... Mass produced batteries from China.... All for one and one for "all".

It will be pretty inefficient to ship batteries (anything small and dense, actually) by ocean container. A container has a weight limit and with batteries, I suspect they can't be filled from floor to ceiling with batteries but you'll still fit a lot in there. At the end of the day, more and more batteries sold in NA are from overseas, so it works.
Let's do the math. An ocean going 40 x 8 ft cargo container can hold 20- 4 ft x 4 ft pallets which is two rows of 10 x two wide for 20 pallets. So, each pallet can hold 20 batteries that measure about 1 ft by 3/4 ft. So 5 x 4 batteries = 20 batteries on each pallet stacked only 1 high. That is 400 batteries. Each of the batteries weighs 50 lbs. That is 20,000 lbs. The shipping container can carry 60,000 lbs. Now stack the pallets, 3 high and you have 1200 batteries weighing a total of 60,000 lbs. Now if you like, get a quote to ship a container carrying 60,000 lbs from Shanghai to LA. and then divide by the number of batteries. The ship itself has no trouble carrying about 2,000 containers. They would tally the weight. Not each container is loaded to the max. For each load of batteries, there is a full load of potato chips. Sooo...... someone can contact a shipping company and see what they would charge for a 60,000 lb load. When I did it in 2021 it was $4,000 but its more now. Let's use $10,000. $10,000 divided by 1200 batteries is $8.33 per battery. This is why offshore battery makers have no trouble competing with NA battery makers.

Handling lead paste and finished lead with bare hands as well as inhaling it's fumes. Using supfuric acid. Melting unknown plastic. No wonder nobody in that video looks much over 40.
Hence my previous comments...many times regulations are GOOD because companies and individuals can't be trusted to do the right thing.

Ha! A more accurate statement was never written! Sometimes the quality is really good, and other times, this happens with substandard Chinese steel:

slide03.jpg
I know with Tube hiring stereo equipment, they make some cheap junk and also some very hi end equipment. The designers keep a close watch on the quality spending a lot of time in China.

Look at what a massive cargo ship hauls vs a UPS semi trailer or UPS truck. I work for UPS. The real question, is how can UPS compete against FedEx Ground, which uses cheap 3rd party mules that pay it's drivers a crap wage and benefit package while I make over $40 an hour at UPS with free health care and I'll get to retire at 57 with a pension.
Ups was always my dream job. Unfortunately I couldn't wait decades to start making good money .

There are large numbers of sealed lead-acid UPS batteries made in China. Cost has been driven down to about half of what they used to cost.

Back 20 years ago in order to keep cost down I used to buy used batteries that had been rolled out of medical equipment after two years use. Once made in China batteries came onto the market at the same price as those used batteries I stopped buying the used batteries.
Vietnam is the new hot spot for those. Even a brand new APC UPS has Vietnamese VRLA AGMs in it. Walmart’s motorcycle batteries are Vietnamese.

Back