Car and Driver SAE 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was four wheeling with a friend here in Boulder, Colorado in his 80's 4WD Toyota Pickup with the 22R motor and nearly 300,000 miles on the truck. When we stopped I noticed at bottle of Car and Driver SAE 5W30 Oil which he uses.

Being the oil nut I asked him how often he changes the oil. He says, "never". Actually, not since around 200,000 miles. He says it's had a constant oil leak, so he just adds a quart "every so often", so there's no need for oil changes!

Anyone heard of Car and Driver motor oil? I have no idea where he gets it, probably the hardware store!

Aw-w-w-w, go ahead and recommend something else, especially since he has only gotten 300K from the C&D oil...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Aw-w-w-w, go ahead and recommend something else, especially since he has only gotten 300K from the C&D oil...
wink.gif

I think pscholte should make up an Earth Day haiku on burning oil
offtopic.gif

That Toyota will probably run much longer than seems possible....but I bet it looks like a barbeque inside.

The Toyota 20R/22R engines are probably the most bulletpoof engines ever designed. Absolutely massive oil pump driven directly off the crank.
Overhead cam with crossflow head on a long stroke engine doesn't make a lot of sense but it sure works.

I had an instructor once who was trained in the military to work on jet engines and he was really sold on synthetic because of this experience.

In his truck he used M1 with 25K intervals.Then when it began to burn oil he just added oil and changed the oil filter only so often.The seemed unaffected by this.

He's losing enough that the adding replenishes not only volume, but additives.

It works for the car but not the fish....
mad.gif
...I believe in non leaking cars. I'm no greenie, but....

quote:

Originally posted by pacers1994:
I work for Target at a distribution center. The Car and Driver oil comes from Valvoline on the same truck as their own.

That is true. It comes from the Valvoline plant, they only blend it and bottle it per the "car and driver" specs. Valvoline can't even tell you about any of these specs. They are only doing what they are paid for. Blending and packaging it. It is NOT the same as All Climate. It has more or less of Zinc Boron ect.

quote:

wink.gif

Better switch to the GC green elixir or this engine will not last.
grin.gif

Seriously, the convenience of Valvoline is self changing. If he ran some GTX it might stay in there better and he would have the bother of draining it. This stuff disappears/vaporizes rapidly.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
He's losing enough that the adding replenishes not only volume, but additives.

It works for the car but not the fish....
mad.gif
...I believe in non leaking cars. I'm no greenie, but....

Fish friendly. It volatizes and burns off before it has a chance to leak. He's probably burning it. This stuff disappears in older engines that don't leak.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
I had an instructor once who was trained in the military to work on jet engines and he was really sold on synthetic because of this experience.

In his truck he used M1 with 25K intervals.Then when it began to burn oil he just added oil and changed the oil filter only so often.The seemed unaffected by this.

I had training by the U.S. military also, but I learned proper maintenance. Jet engines and the engines in cars are totally different animals. He was lucky I guess. I wouldn't even think about doing it.

My vote is excessive burning of the Valvoline. V-A/C and Mobil DCO were the 2 worst oils I ever used in that respect. I would go th extra mile snad tell him about 15w-40...Delvac.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:

quote:

wink.gif

I think pscholte should make up an Earth Day haiku on burning oil
offtopic.gif

That Toyota will probably run much longer than seems possible....but I bet it looks like a barbeque inside.

offtopic.gif
Will you provide the Sashimi for free while I compose...need a muse don't you know?
grin.gif

I had a car that burned some oil
It's tendencies I had to foil
But nothing I tried would do the trick
(I had to stop this nonsense quick(ly))

So I hopped a flight to quaint Cologne
Got to my hotel, picked up the phone
And called my favorite blending firm

They filled my cart with cans of Green
I think you all know what I mean
And home I went all satisfied

I poured it in and fired her up