Car and Driver: Ford Moving toward Build-to-Order, Away from Packed Dealer Lots

I haven't read through 5 pages of replies, so I don't know if anyone else made the point I am about to make:

This is the dumbest move imaginable: certain models like the F150, the Maverick, and the Ranger, are strong sellers; the rest of the lineup isn't nearly as strong - and as it is, Ford's competition is strong.

So now people are going to wait 6-8 weeks for a Ford, when they can have a similarly priced Hyundai or GM vehicle immediately? Honda & Toyota products might cost a little more, but they have better perceived reliability, and oftentimes better interior materials; both makes are available immediately.

This is such a poor move on Ford's part; Honda did this in the early 80's, and it didn't work out too well for them - at a time when consumers were clamoring for fuel efficient Honda's, amidst a time when Chrysler & GM had quality woes.

Such a terrible move...

What happens to dealer service dept in this new plan. A big part of a dealer is the warranty and body shop and just plain service department. Then does the parts dept disappear too?

I ordered my Club Sport and have no regrets. I might order my next Jeep- who knows? One Ford dealer told me that they only X-Plan Broncos that are ordered- and an order takes nine months. Good thing I prefer the Wrangler.

What happens to dealer service dept in this new plan. A big part of a dealer is the warranty and body shop and just plain service department. Then does the parts dept disappear too?
Parts departments are pretty much nonexistent already. About the only thing local dealers around here carry are consumable items. Most repair parts have to be ordered. They can usually get them in a day or two.

but how are you going to make a profit on "economies of scale" when you obviously are building LESS vehicles, let the dealers fill their lots, and have "blowout" sales.

Build to order? Less vehicles being built, higher prices, vehicles sitting on months for chips.... and less profit.

but how are you going to make a profit on "economies of scale" when you obviously are building LESS vehicles, let the dealers fill their lots, and have "blowout" sales.

Build to order? Less vehicles being built, higher prices, vehicles sitting on months for chips.... and less profit.
Profits are a thing of the past. Each and every customer will be fleeced all the way to the bone, and then some. They don't want to profit off of you, they want to take everything... for a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back