Car and Driver: 2023 Toyota Highlander Replaces V-6 with 2.4L Turbo-Four

2022 Tundra also went from 5.7L V8 to TT V6. Based on what I have read, only 4-6 mpg improvement or less but flatter torque curve and lots of issues as well I think because it's the first year of major changes ...

Is highlander v6 same as 4-runner?
Hope they don't mess with 4-runner before I buy one.

Last edited:
2022 Tundra also went from 5.7L V8 to TT V6. Based on what I have read, only 4-6 mpg improvement or less but flatter torque curve and lots of issues as well I think because it's the first year of major changes ...

Just wait. The 4Runner is being updated.

No.

The current 4Runner still has the 1GR-FE (4.0L DOHC V6).

I’ve only driven a newer Tacoma (2GR-FKS - 3.5L DOHC V6) once. But it’s been said that it doesn’t have the low-end and midrange of the 4.0. And, they went to a 6-speed auto in the Taco, which has a rep for hunting.

4Runner still soldiers on (for this year at least) with the old reliable Aisin A750 5-speed.

Pretty inefficient if you’re going more than 70 mph (I’ve seen 23 MPG in our 4Runner when I’ve done the 3-hour drive from Nashville to Memphis and kept my speed at 70 or less). But reliable as an anvil.

I have almost 250K on the same trans in my 07 Tacoma with no issues.

No.

The current 4Runner still has the 1GR-FE (4.0L DOHC V6).

I’ve only driven a newer Tacoma (2GR-FKS - 3.5L DOHC V6) once. But it’s been said that it doesn’t have the low-end and midrange of the 4.0. And, they went to a 6-speed auto in the Taco, which has a rep for hunting.

4Runner still soldiers on (for this year at least) with the old reliable Aisin A750 5-speed.

Pretty inefficient if you’re going more than 70 mph (I’ve seen 23 MPG in our 4Runner when I’ve done the 3-hour drive from Nashville to Memphis and kept my speed at 70 or less). But reliable as an anvil.

I have almost 250K on the same trans in my 07 Tacoma with no issues.

does the highlander (before 2023 model) currently have the same 4.0L V6 engine as 4-Runner? Or does is have the new Tacoma engine? I've heard Tacoma is sluggish ...

I like the current 4-Runner V6 engine and trans. If they change it to DI or Turbo, I don't think I would consider one!

does the highlander (before 2023 model) currently have the same 4.0L V6 engine as 4-Runner? Or does is have the new Tacoma engine? I've heard Tacoma is sluggish ...

I like the current 4-Runner V6 engine and trans. If they change it to DI or Turbo, I don't think I would consider one!
No. It’s always had a variant of the Camry engine.

Should be a good motor hopefully they did a good job with NVH, which can sometimes be a problem for small turbocharged motors. The 2.5 turbo in our CX-9 is a gem. Love the torque curve and surprisingly smooth.

The vastly underrated Car Care Nut did a recent podcast on the new Highlander.

It will be spec'd for 0W20. CCN reiterates his informed opinion that Toyota motorists should stick to the spec'd oil.

The reason given is the variable oil pump. Also, the reason for ditching the V6 is purely EPA, 2023 and beyond.

0W20? that’s surprising.
Car Care Nut and I were surprised that it is not 0W16. Toyota has taken measures to stay on top of engine temperature and oil pressure.

As one small example, my Corolla Cross has a retro mechanical thermostat. My previous similar Lexus UX 250h, driven for 180k miles had an electric thermostat.

The conclusion is that, since all is found to be efficient and within acceptable parameters, with room to spare, save costs and go for reliability, with a simpler tried and true design.

A deeper dive would show that Toyota did some things in the same vein with the new 4 cylinder turbo.

Back