Car about to sit for 11 days, fear of damage

I have to go out-of-town for 11 days for work training, and I’m leaving my Camry parked at an airport parking garage. I don’t think I’ve ever let my car sit for longer than 4 days without being driven since I’ve gotten it. That being said, I’m worried rodents may get in the engine bay and chew away at my wiring harnesses.

I’m curious if there’s any way I can deter rodents from my car

11 days at a long term parking garage at the airport is a better case scenario than 11 days at a residential parking area like neighborhood streets or apartment complexes when it comes to rodents.

Id be more concerned about door dings and scratches, at the airport parking garages.

Just make sure you battery is up to par and keep a battery pack or jumper cables in the trunk.
There are peppermint(oil) sprays that you can spray under the hood to deter rodents.
Spray around the battery(as rodents like electrolysis) and engine compartment wiring if you are concerned. ;)
Supposedly rodents(mainly mice) don't like the smell of peppermint. ??? I've read. :unsure:
But, as others have mentioned, I too believe that there is little to be concerned with. (y)

Any airport shuttle service in you area? I do this all the time. It's convenient and is cheaper than paying parking fees by @ day. If you intend to bring your vehicle, ask a person or people who park in that area what they have experienced, rodents, break-ins, robberies, crime etc ???

Last edited:
I’m worried rodents may get in the engine bay and chew away at my wiring harnesses.
Id be more concerned about door dings and scratches, at the airport parking garages.
It needed a jump.
I would be more fearfull experiencing theft of catalytic converters..
ask a person or people who park in that area what they have experienced, rodents, break-ins, robberies, crime etc ???
Geez people, OP had ONE irrational fear, now he has half a dozen to worry about.

Park towards the middle of the lot. If there are mice in the area I would think they would congregate where there are weeds, grasses, or buildings. Mice do not like to stay around wide open areas without food. I never had any problems parking long term in an airport other than remembering where I parked my car and trying to find it in below zero freezing weather.

Walmart has bagged mothballs in a box. Leave 1 bag under vehicle and another bag under hood.
If area has major rodent issues, I'd even leave a bag sitting in the car too. The odor goes away after a couple days once you toss the moth ball bags.

Reactions: wtd
With a properly functioning system the vehicle can usually sit a couple of months and still have plenty of juice to start her up. Been there and done that.

I have to go out-of-town for 11 days for work training, and I’m leaving my Camry parked at an airport parking garage. I don’t think I’ve ever let my car sit for longer than 4 days without being driven since I’ve gotten it. That being said, I’m worried rodents may get in the engine bay and chew away at my wiring harnesses.

I’m curious if there’s any way I can deter rodents from my car
Put 2 dryer sheets under hood and two more inside. Put note on steering wheel to retrieve them from under the hood.

Just make sure you battery is up to par and keep a battery pack or jumper cables in the trunk.
Always a good idea, but most airport authorities provide jumps and air for tires as they see this all the time on cars parked for way longer than 11 days.

Back into the parking space. Easier access to the battery, and jet-lagged-you will appreciate it when you get back.

Back