Caprese Salad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Looks good! Where's the drizzle of the balsamic glaze?

Its Thin but there, we prefer Fig Balsamic.

Ever since I've learned to prune a basil plant, I've been getting bagfuls every week. (the size of those bags at the supermarket used for groceries). I've been giving them away or making pesto, but I kinda forgot about this simple salad.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Ever since I've learned to prune a basil plant, I've been getting bagfuls every week. (the size of those bags at the supermarket used for groceries). I've been giving them away or making pesto, but I kinda forgot about this simple salad.

What the pruning secret, cutter?

You have to be aggressive in the beginning. As soon as you see two new leaves at the base of a larger leaf, cut the top off. See here:

plant-cross-section.gif

In the beginning is important, because that's when you can get the plant to bush out exponentially. At first, it feels like overkill, but it isn't. If you don't, your basil will grow tall and skinny, not a lot of leaves. Eventually, the plant will want to flower, so then you'll need to prune at least three times a week to prevent that.

You have to be aggressive in the beginning. As soon as you see two new leaves at the base of a larger leaf, cut the top off. See here:

plant-cross-section.gif

In the beginning is important, because that's when you can get the plant to bush out exponentially. At first, it feels like overkill, but it isn't. If you don't, your basil will grow tall and skinny, not a lot of leaves. Eventually, the plant will want to flower, so then you'll need to prune at least three times a week to prevent that.

Thanks, I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back