Can't use Rotella Oil with Honda Generators? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a "project" Honda EU6500is Inverter generator for repowering my house during power outages. It came out of one of those storage units, that folks store their stuff in. Had been in there for years and was covered with dust. I bought it for a steal of a price. It was missing the battery and the battery door cover. The gas in it was drained, because it stank. It started up, with fresh gas, like nothing had happened. Ran fine with several loads, plugged into it.

In talking with the Honda Generator help line folks, I was told something I never heard of before. Their recommendation was to never use Rotella (or any other HDEO) with their products. The reason, I was told was because sulfur dioxide, contained in the diesel oil is incompatible with the internal aluminum components. The results, I was told could be "metal pitting". They claim synthetic oil is "OK", not HDEO. Recommended viscosity is either straight 30 wt or 10W30.

I was all set to change the oil with Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15W30, or Rotella 10W30, which I had on hand. I also have another Honda EU3000is, acquired the same way, which was going to get the same oil.

What can you owners and users of their products, tell me of such warnings? Any truth to it?

Wow. Never heard this before. Would be interesting to hear from some of our resident experts on the science behind Honda's recommendations. If true, why hasn't it come up in the zillion or so prior threads on 'is HDEO good for OPE?' threads?

Interesting, diesels run with aluminum cylinder heads all the time with no ill effects. So it would have to be something specific to the power cylinder that is typically iron in larger engines.

I always used strait 30 Pennzoil in most of my small engines with zero problems..I never heard of that before..Maybe call the oil tech line see what they say..

Originally Posted By: Best F100
I recently picked up a "project" Honda EU6500is Inverter generator for repowering my house during power outages. It came out of one of those storage units, that folks store their stuff in. Had been in there for years and was covered with dust. I bought it for a steal of a price. It was missing the battery and the battery door cover. The gas in it was drained, because it stank. It started up, with fresh gas, like nothing had happened. Ran fine with several loads, plugged into it.

In talking with the Honda Generator help line folks, I was told something I never heard of before. Their recommendation was to never use Rotella (or any other HDEO) with their products. The reason, I was told was because sulfur dioxide, contained in the diesel oil is incompatible with the internal aluminum components. The results, I was told could be "metal pitting". They claim synthetic oil is "OK", not HDEO. Recommended viscosity is either straight 30 wt or 10W30.

I was all set to change the oil with Chevron Delo Severe Duty 15W30, or Rotella 10W30, which I had on hand. I also have another Honda EU3000is, acquired the same way, which was going to get the same oil.

What can you owners and users of their products, tell me of such warnings? Any truth to it?
So that means T6, being synthetic according to the common definition, is OK? There's what, NO aluminum in a diesel truck engine? I've been using T6 in my Honda mower and my BMW bike for as long as it has been out. This is almost as good as the tire salesman who told my grandfather "you can't have radial tires on your car if you've had a heart attack". How convenient that the moron didn't have any radials in stock which fit the car.

Last edited:
Remember it's not "diesel oil", it's "mixed fleet."

If you get something like Delo 100 for locomotives that's another story.

I have only been running T5 in my Honda power washer for 10 years.....
21.gif

Quote:

He clearly don't know what he is talking about. sulfur dioxide is a gas. There no way it would be in an oil. Rotella is an excellent oil. T-6 would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
That is so far out in left field - a complete crock of something or other. Carry right on w/ your plan...

John.

True. Nearly all modern engines are chock-a-block full of aluminum parts, and all engines have aluminum pistons.

FWIW, that 390 Honda engine will perform perfectly and last longest with any robust oil.

Never once heard of this for Honda OPE. Obviously the Honda manual is going to recommend "10w30" like they have since day one. Nothing wrong with Honda's recommendation. I would question this particular call center's recommendation though.

Last edited:
Oh wow, last time I checked, Rotella also met API standards too. So they can't deny a warranty claim when using T5 10w30.

This is a new one on me. I've been using HDEO oils in my small engines including Hondas for more years than I care to remember and I haven't experienced any internal corrosion problems in any of them. This sounds like the Honda rep wanting you to use only Honda branded oil so they tell you that Shell Rotella oil will destroy your engine which is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back