Can’t Stop Wrenching

Originally Posted by Driz
I got dragged into doing rear shoes on a 93 Ciivic DX a couple days ago.

A 1993 Civic in NY? That's a good run for a rust belt vehicle. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Civic of this vintage.

In regards to the topic, I enjoy doing light maintenance like oil, filter and fluid changes and have done all my own brake and most of my own suspension work since the 1980s.

Anything that requires heavy wrenching while laying on my back under a lifted vehicle I farm out these days. Just can't do it anymore.

I've only got one mechanic friend/neighbor who's happens to be a Toyota master tech, but I hate to bug him. My point is, I don't have a shop that I really know I can trust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
...I don't have a shop that I really know I can trust.

Precisely my problem as well. Can't tell you how many stories I hear from friends, neighbors, family about botched repair jobs. Lucky if you can get an oil change without coming home with a stripped plug. Can tell you plenty of my personal horror stories getting warranty work done at Toyota and Lexus. Never, I repeat never, had anything fixed right the first time plus always had collateral damage such as scratches and missing parts.

Last edited:
I don't want to be found dead under my car with an oil filter wrench clutched in my hand. I'd rather they find a Jiffy Lube coupon for a free oil change in the glove box.

Well said John. We despise our limitations as we get older. We should never question the passions that got us there in the first place. Carry on!

I bet there's a younger fella in your area with a decent shop, might have a lift, who will help you/allow you to work on your cars.

Originally Posted by thooks
I bet there's a younger fella in your area with a decent shop, might have a lift, who will help you/allow you to work on your cars.

That would be awesome, but there's insurance liabilities to deal with. I've looked into this, but the only thing I've found where I could rent a lift was at a DIY shop/speed shop, but it's unfortunately closed its doors.

My dad is 73 and still works with my brother in the family diesel generator shop. Whenever I am able, I swing by and help out. My dad always says to let him do whatever it is he's doing so he doesn't lose the ability to do it. He's a little slower than before but still plenty capable.

I always felt bad for my father when he had to move into assisted living as he lost a lot of hobbies working with his hands. I would like to see some of these places set up for just those types of poeple so they can keep their minds occupied.

Finding what interest you and pursue it will likely make you the most happy. Have good instinct in knowing your limitations, we've probably all know the feeling when your in over your ability or tool set. That said, some tasks take an ambitious day. I learn so much here too, that I spend time just seeing what everyone else is getting into.

Recently I've been learning about idler pulleys and bearings, going through all the Grease section and search terms taught me options like looking into a bearing press and the problem of grease leaking out if you damage the cover of a sealed bearing. My 2005 4Runner v6 has 299,997 miles, so I am going with changing all the idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley too. Yes, a cheap eBay set, but then I am going to replace the bearings in the original pulleys, or repack them at minimum, for spares.

So I've been away from bitog for a couple of months due to the change in work rhythm, but this thread has a soft spot. I've been on bitog for 20 years or so.... I had an earlier login than this one, lost the credentials for over some hiatus; I've been here a while. So, I always read these posts as the 20yo I once was, forgetting that in real life, while I can finally afford better tools, my body and my time (and my wife's better judgment) won't let me be 20. We recently picked up a 3rd car and her firm requirement was, must be under 100k miles! This was stressful wise.

JTK I've read your posts forever. To hear your thoughts on it sort of brought this thread home for me. My "identity" as a car guy is certainly less, but the quality of work and reduced cost is still a big deal. And, certain things like general maintenance or just faster doing it here. But it is indeed harder to get off the ground, the heat slows me down, and I invite more and more heavy, thick objects under there with me for safety in case something tips. I don't enjoy "the process" of bringing them back from mediocrity as much as I once did, but I do absolutely enjoy the lower trim f150 that rarely needs anything and seems to do everything pretty well - I appreciate what I have that runs more than before.

I don't like getting rust and dirt in my eyes, or getting burned, or bleeding.

I DO benefit from living in the south where rust makes every brake job a nightmare.

But I feel you, bitog friends. Rotating 33" truck tires isn't as easy as it used to be.

M

Originally Posted by tig1
Congrats for not giving up. I recently changed the front rotors-bearing hubs and pads on my sons 2008 Ford Ranger. As you know working on the floor isn't as easy as it used to be, but it's important to maintain our productivity in what ever way we can.

I think this is a great way to go... And right approach and attitude to have....

You guys are an example to perfect "retirement" way of life, living and attitude.

I get tons of satisfaction from doing the easy and moderately difficult stuff that saves money: oil/filter, engine & cabin filters, spark plugs, trans fluid/filter, differential lube, chassis lube, coolant flush/thermostat, hoses/belts/tensioners, shocks, U-joints, etc. Also, there's no way to describe how awesome it feels knowing the work is done correctly by me using the proper tools, parts and materials, and not done questionably by a high school kid on his summer job. But I have to pick my battles because some stuff is either beyond my ability or more complicated than I care to get into -- I don't replace heater cores or drum brakes, and I don't rebuild transmissions, differentials, suspension, etc., although none of my vehicles have needed that heavy kind of work in decades. Anyway... on the Tacoma, I am currently facing a replacement of the coolant bypass pipe #1 which is buried under the intake manifold and above the starter motor. This is a known issue (POS plastic pipe degrades/cracks), I have all the parts needed to put in the metal upgraded pipe, and there are tons of videos and other how-tos online so I'm doing this one myself, maybe this weekend
smile.gif
The 2-car garage is my favorite feature of my house.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by thooks

That would be awesome, but there's insurance liabilities to deal with. I've looked into this, but the only thing I've found where I could rent a lift was at a DIY shop/speed shop, but it's unfortunately closed its doors.

I'm not talking about the guy renting time/space. I'm talking about finding someone in the area who is younger, likes to work on cars and has a shop, hopefully with a lift.

I know 3 people that live within 2 miles of me that have a lift. How? Well, I know one of them, he has two lifts in his shop. The other two have fairly new houses and garages....that I saw being built and can see the lifts in them when I drive by and their doors are open.

Back