Can't make decision

My heart is not set on anything yet. Logically speaking, nothing wrong with the E90. 77k miles. All the oil leaks have been taken care of. I am getting higher than retail for it but I mean what's the point? Naturally aspirated inline 6. Yeah, it's not M3 or 335, but still looks and drives good.

Car looks brand new.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Your Genesis got less than 20mpg. It also received new control arms, water pump, a/c compressor and idler pulley, side mirror, transmission mount, sunroof guides, and radiator fan motor all before 80k miles.

You want to talk about a trash car? That's it right there.
A BMW won't be any better.

If you can afford a $50k car, you can afford a little more gas. The OP'er barely drives as it is, it's mostly a driveway trophy.

I'd much prefer a Genesis over a trash Euro car.
Sorry man, but if your Genesis had a BMW badge on the front you'd lament it worse than your mom's TDI Beetle.

But it wasn't German, and you had a warranty, so somehow that made your Korean wannabe superior. If you're going to buy a luxury sedan w/ extended warranty, you may as well own the genuine article instead of a Korean company's idea of what Americans like about German cars.

Sorry man, but if your Genesis had a BMW badge on the front you'd lament it worse than your mom's TDI Beetle.

But it wasn't German, and you had a warranty, so somehow that made your Korean wannabe superior. If you're going to buy a luxury sedan w/ extended warranty, you may as well own the genuine article instead of a Korean company's idea of what Americans like about German cars.
What more would you want from a luxury car? It handled fantastic, drove great, had plenty of power, the tech was great, the fit and finish was great, the materials were great, it was comfortable, etc. what else is there to improve for the Germans to do? What would a 5 series have done for me?

What more would you want from a luxury car? It handled fantastic, drove great, had plenty of power, the tech was great, the fit and finish was great, the materials were great, it was comfortable, etc. what else is there to improve for the Germans to do? What would a 5 series have done for me?
Looked better, drove better, been more comfortable, and based on your experience it probably would have been more reliable.

Did you look at a comparable 5er before buying the Genesis, or what it just "Germans bad"

Looked better, drove better, been more comfortable, and based on your experience it probably would have been more reliable.

Did you look at a comparable 5er before buying the Genesis, or what it just "Germans bad"
Too expensive. I bought the Genesis for Corolla money.

And the OP'er could save $10k+ just on the purchase price. That pays for a lot of repairs that might never happen.

Too expensive. I bought the Genesis for Corolla money.

And the OP'er could save $10k+ just on the purchase price. That pays for a lot of repairs that might never happen.
See, that's one of my problems with the OP's potential purchases. When you bought your Genesis, an equivalent 5er would have been similarly priced.

Now, everything has gone bananas. only $8-10k under NEW MSRP for a 4 year old Bimmer? Don't think that's a wise purchase, CPO or not.

Meh. You won't be driving the family around in the 5-series either. It's going to be minivan/SUV all the time from then on out.

The 540i might be in better condition actually.

I'd wait a year and maybe move up to an off lease M340i (G20 platform) with its factory standard LSD.

My suggestion: Purchase the one with the performance you want first. Worry about what happens next, when that time comes.

I'm always tempted to purchase something that is more "responsible", but in the end, my soul needs what it needs.

I mean, wth am I going to do with a 5 series when I'm going to be the only person driving it? Even when married. Two people can fit in the car. If the whole family is going out, parents have an E class or me and wife take our car mom and dad there own etc
Cut the BS man.
If your soul really wants it, then buy it.
You can afford a $50k car per your previous posts.
Just go do it.
You'll figure out the rest later.

A. Buy what you want, worry about kids later.

Or

B. Buy something super cheap that you wont hate because cars will get cheaper than the next 1-3 years. Spend $5k and upgrade later at better prices.

Child seat will fit fine in the 340 while you & the lady decide what your next ride is (Fox body with dumped Flows)

Child seat will fit fine in the 340 while you & the lady decide what your next ride is (Fox body with dumped Flows)

Depends on who is sitting shotgun. I barely have enough leg room in our MDX with our kid's seat behind me and my wife driving. The Maxima no way, and that's got more room in the back than a 3er.

Regardless sound alike the OP is far enough away from having kids that it's a non issue.

What luxury options did you really have? Did it have headlamp washers? Massage seats? Keyless go? 3 position memory seats for both driver and passenger? Heated windshield washer fluid? Pano sunroof? I'm also not sure about the active headlights, was that just auto high beam or did they swivel 12 degrees right/left for active curve illumination? The fog/driving lights also activate on a Mercedes when turning also with the active curve illumination feature. On higher end Mercedes cars, you also have airmatic as an option for the suspension. Smoother ride, but much more expensive to fix.

What luxury options did you really have? Did it have headlamp washers? Massage seats? Keyless go? 3 position memory seats for both driver and passenger? Heated windshield washer fluid? Pano sunroof? I'm also not sure about the active headlights, was that just auto high beam or did they swivel 12 degrees right/left for active curve illumination? The fog/driving lights also activate on a Mercedes when turning also with the active curve illumination feature. On higher end Mercedes cars, you also have airmatic as an option for the suspension. Smoother ride, but much more expensive to fix.
That stuff rarely breaks. From my conversations with dealer techs, the issues nowadays are more mechanical in nature. Cylinder heads, injectors, etc.

That stuff rarely breaks. From my conversations with dealer techs, the issues nowadays are more mechanical in nature. Cylinder heads, injectors, etc.
Yes, that's why I have that stuff on my car. Aside from bad keyless go handles, all my options basically still work and most of the problems in the forums is more basic stuff like engines/transmissions, motor mounts, thermostats, pulleys, etc., the more basic stuff that every car has.

I bought a 3 year old 5 series with an in-line 6 cylinder and a 5 speed manual and drove it for 18 years. I could have had a 3 series or a 5 series for about the same money. The 5 series cost considerably more when new.

My theory was that you should buy a 3 series new (because they're popular with the younger crowd who can't quite afford a new one, so they hold their value fairly well for at least the first few years) or a 5 series used (because people who want a 5 series want a new one, so they depreciate a lot in the first few years). I paid about 45% of the replacement cost for my 5 series. I considered it a bargain, and I never regretted buying a 5 series. It was a heck of a car.

As for the final sales value - who knows? Depends more on condition that anything. And I keep my cars so long they're not worth much anyway.

I'm also not sure about the active headlights, was that just auto high beam or did they swivel 12 degrees right/left for active curve illumination?
My Sonata has active headlights that swivel when turning. I hope his Genesis had that feature!

Back