Can't make decision

So, I just sold my E90 (I got an offer that I couldn't refuse. For folks that don't know here) to a fellow forum member. He'll be picking it up today. Driving from Ohio to IL.

My main thing was I wanted to get something quicker. So, initially, I started looking at CPO 18 340s. Found one around 1hr 30 min from me. CPO 2018 340 29k miles. Dealer asking $42,995. I got them down to $40,500 (told them that's without seeing the car). The next day, the price dropped from $42,995 to $41,995. So, I'm gonna get them lower than my original offer of $40,500 when I go there.

But, if I think ahead into the future, I'll be getting married in a few years. Then have kids a year or two after that (I'm just guessing . But kids sooner or later). A 3 series would be tight with a car seat for the front passenger. So, I started looking at CPO 5 series. I can get a 530 for the same price of a 340. But, I dont really know how reliable the B48 is compared to the B58. BMWs is known for making good inline 6 engines. So, the initial thought would be the B58. Or I can just buy a 19 Lexus ES350 and call it a day

But, a CPO 540 is close to $50k. That's $5k more than what I wanted to spend initially. This next car I would like to keep for more than 3 years (I said the same for the E90 when I brought it. Drove both 21 B48 530(Just to compare the drive to a 330), 2021 330 (drove like **** for some reason), and 2018 B58 340(loved the sound and acceleration of it). Obviously, the B58 had more pep to it. Sounded a bit smoother compared to the 21 530 I drove.

Which engine/ car would you guys recommend? Thinking about the future here also.

If your budget is for a $45k car, you can surely afford a $50k car.

As I get older there are a few decisions I regret that I made when younger, several of them around money for things I really could have afforded but still didn't pull the trigger, due to my stingy nature.

If you really want the 5-series and you really can afford it, definitely make that decision.

You'll still buy the minivan in 5 years and you likely be fine financially.

If your budget is for a $45k car, you can surely afford a $50k car.

As I get older there are a few decisions I regret that I made when younger, several of them around money for things I really could have afforded but still didn't pull the trigger, due to my stingy nature.

If you really want the 5-series and you really can afford it, definitely make that decision.

You'll still buy the minivan in 5 years and you likely be fine financially.
I mean, wth am I going to do with a 5 series when I'm going to be the only person driving it? Even when married. Two people can fit in the car. If the whole family is going out, parents have an E class or me and wife take our car mom and dad there own etc

I mean, wth am I going to do with a 5 series when I'm going to be the only person driving it? Even when married. Two people can fit in the car. If the whole family is going out, parents have an E class or me and wife take our car mom and dad there own etc
Personal preference. I would never drive a BMW smaller than a 5er. And never a 4 cylinder. (M10 and M42 excluded)

I've used a 3 series with one car seat. It's tight sometimes, but it works. I'm not tall, so my seat isn't all the way back, which helps. The 5 would be better, for sure.

Save up for a 540 if you like the drive. Otherwise get the 340 and upgrade when the time comes.

I've used a 3 series with one car seat. It's tight sometimes, but it works. I'm not tall, so my seat isn't all the way back, which helps. The 5 would be better, for sure.

Save up for a 540 if you like the drive. Otherwise get the 340 and upgrade when the time comes.
I'm 5'8. So not tall either. But won't be able to fit any adults comfortably in a 3 series back seat I guess

Yeah. MSRP FWD - $42, AWD - $47.

2022-volkswagen-arteon-sel-premium-r-line.jpg

But won't be able to fit any adults comfortably in a 3 series back seat I guess
A 5 series might be passable in the rear for adults, but neither options are a great long-term vehicles for a family.

Whichever one you buy, there is a high likelihood that you will be trading it within the next 5 years. So, I would pick the option that costs you least in the long run...

I'd much prefer a Genesis over a trash Euro car.
Your Genesis got less than 20mpg. It also received new control arms, water pump, a/c compressor and idler pulley, side mirror, transmission mount, sunroof guides, and radiator fan motor all before 80k miles.

You want to talk about a trash car? That's it right there.

Back