Can't get into my Saturn Vue. When did car makers go to 1 door lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by CharlieJ
Get a rolling floor jack, place it in the center of the rear axle, perpendicular to the car, jack up car. Pull to rotate rear of the car away from wall.

I like the idea, but he is on grass/mud...guessing the jack won't roll with the weight of the car in those conditions.

Place a piece of plywood down so you can roll the jack.

Break a window
smile.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
When did car makers go to 1 door lock?

Over 20 years ago, VW killed three birds with one stone. With their ultra-reliable keyed lock technology, VW could not only afford to cut down on unnecessary redundancy, but they also cut down on keyed lock failures at the same time, bringing the lock failure rate down to just over 100% over the life of the vehicle. Plus they saved a little money. Many other manufacturers recognized the brilliant logic and followed toute de suite. And now they have begun putting away with the ignition key. The future is brilliant, I tell ya!
grin2.gif

My 1936 Ford Coupe 5 window only had a key hole on the passenger door. Back then it was customary to be a gentleman and let your spouse or lover in first at the curb and have them push the inside door handle forward to unlock the driver door. My 1929 Deluxe Town Sedan was made the same.

Hook a strap to the back of the car, and then to another car and drag it out of the way. Not gonna hurt it.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
My 1936 Ford Coupe 5 window only had a key hole on the passenger door. Back then it was customary to be a gentleman and let your spouse or lover in first at the curb and have them push the inside door handle forward to unlock the driver door. My 1929 Deluxe Town Sedan was made the same.
Same a few years later on our 1966 F-100. That one of several cost-cutting tricks used on base trucks back then, but not American cars, even the lowest trim level. (Another was the manual choke.)

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman

My dad has this in his 1940 and per his version of things, it was so drivers wouldn't exit through the driver's door when parallel parked, as the nearby passing traffic was dangerous.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
is this a GM thing?
my 2019 toyota has no "map pocket" on the back of the drivers seat, not an issue, but droping the pass door lock -- I dont like that

let us know how it ends
use fork lift to move the car?

Are you sure your Toyota has a passenger side door lock cylinder? Or did Toyota do special versions just for nauseating Fanboys?

My 2005 Silverado only has the driver's lock cylinder, same as the 2010 Tacoma and 2013 Silverado I believe. I use the key occasionally instead of the fob to keep it from seizing up.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
They sometimes exit cars like this on Andy Griffith. I wondered why.

And in a lot of the movies from the '30s and '40s.

Consider the early motorist on dirt streets with horse traffic-- you really wouldn't want to get in or out of a car on the left side.

Originally Posted by mk378
Consider the early motorist on dirt streets with horse traffic-- you really wouldn't want to get in or out of a car on the left side.

I heard years & years ago, it was really difficult to re-train all the USA horses to do the opposite-of-the-road steering in Europe. They had to call-in all the rough-riders from, like Billy The Kid, from the Wild-Wild West. Then Billy had to retrain himself to jump off a horse on the left-side, whenever he stole cattle in Europe and whenever he stole your horse.

Last edited:
crawl on top of the car, and reach your hand down to the driver lock from the top.

I would expect this to dent the car, unless you can get a small child to do it.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
crawl on top of the car, and reach your hand down to the driver lock from the top.

I would expect this to dent the car, unless you can get a small child to do it.

Nope, I used to own a Saturn Vue. The roof was made to hold a roof-rack. Just climb up from the back...and spread your weight out (use your brain). I weigh 200+ and had been on the roof of mine with little worry.

Is it on dirt? Sure looks like it. Should be easy to drag--if worried, wet down the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back