Can't find replacement fuse for X-mas lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
The 5A-120V fuse blew in my light set. I've been all over town, including Radio Shack, and I can't find a replacement. It's a glass fuse, but much smaller than the old automotive type. There's no spare in the plug pocket either. On-line I can find it for $5. No thanks - not worth it. Who is likely to carry these fuses?

[rant]On a larger note, I'm really dismayed by the quality of Christmas lights to the point that I don't look forward to putting them up anymore. I have another string of lights that needs one lamp (not the screw-in kind, nor the miniature kind) - but again, no one sells that replacement.

It's been five years since I tried putting up lights. One year I splurged on what I thought were good lights and bought a number of strings. Next year, less than half of them worked and the strings were unrepairable. I'm not shy of going through and fixing what needs to be fixed, using a voltmeter, and replacing bulbs as needed. But I don't see the need to lay out this expense every year. I'd much rather pay more and buy a quality set that is maintainable and can stand up to the outdoors.

Instead of buying replacement miniature bulbs, I always found it cheaper to set aside an unrepairable string and use those bulbs. Right now I have more of these "replacement" bulbs than working bulbs. [/rant]

Ace Hardware has a lot of fuses and bulbs for those Throw-away style lights

FWIW, the building management at my last employer used to put up brand new lights in the trees outside the Friday after Thanksgiving, and when the time came to take them down, the crews were just cutting the strings out of the trees and tossing them. I think that says it all regarding the expected durability and reuse of the things today -- along with just about everything else we buy.
15.gif

I saw fuses at Menards, if you have them on your side of the state.
I also picked up a Light Keeper Pro light fixing tool. Pretty cool pistol shaped tool that fixes "shunt" failures, identifies broken wires, loose bulbs, and other electrical issues. It brought several "dead" sets of lights back to life without the old "replace each bulb until you find the bad one" method I've used in the past. Plus, you get to buy another tool! You can check it out at Lightkeeper Pro.

a couple of 1/4" female push on terminals will suffice to use an blade type auto fuse. A 5A fuse should do the trick.

Spartanfool, thanks for the tip on LightKeeper Pro. This tool may bring sanity to the madness of miniature lights, and some holiday cheer to the neighborhood next year. I even read some blogs on the product. For most people it seems to either work great, or doesn't work at all. I'm guessing some people don't have the knack at using such a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back