CANT FIND OTC OIL FOR B48 BMW 230I WHAT TO USE INSTEAD

My manual says to use LL-17 FE+ with viscosity's of 0-20 or 0-30 cant find any OTC that meets LL-17 FE+ what is everyone using? car is on stage 2 with no cat
This is what easily available in stores
Mobil 1 EP 0-20
Mobil 1 Fuel economy 0-20 and 0-30
Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 and 5-40
Pennzoil platinum and platinum ultra 0-20
castrol edge 0-20
castrol edge euro 5-40

Viscosity of approved 0-20 LL-17FE+ from castrol is
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C- 8.18
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C- 43

What locations?

Stage 2? tune? from who?

No catalytic converters?

So, you don't need OE oil recommendations. Manual recommendations mean little after modding away.

What are your running oil temps now, when compared to stock?

What locations?

Stage 2? tune? from who?

No catalytic converters?

So, you don't need OE oil recommendations. Manual recommendations mean little after modding away.

What are your running oil temps now, when compared to stock?
Northeast USA
MGFlasher off the shelf tune
cat has been deleted straight pipe
you can tune the temps i keep it below 215 stock can go up to 230

the car is just a daily 80 city 20 highway i dont really get on it 90 eco 10% sprinted driving ran a 12.7 at the drag though

I ve seen many threads where owners are using much heavier weight oils in the B48 and 58 and cant understand why if the tolerances where designed with 0-20 weight

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Napa has at least two oils that meet the required specs:
Valvoline Euro 0w20
Liqui-Moly 22046 (5L jug) or 22044 for the 1L

If your local Napa doesn't have it in stock, they can get it the next day.

Amazon carries both the Valvoline Euro 0w20 and the L-M Euro 0w20 in both 1L and 5L
how does that Valvoline compare to Castrols euro 0-20 i can get the castrol euro LL-17 FE shipped to local walmart for 37 bucks

Northeast USA

the car is just a daily 80 city 20 highway i dont really get on it 90 eco 10% sprinted driving ran a 12.7 at the drag though

I ve seen many threads where owners are using much heavier weight oils in the B48 and 58 and cant understand why if the tolerances where designed with 0-20 weight
0w20 is for MPG

Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil1/Pennzoil have good Euro oils. I'd use a 0w30 or 5w30. I'd even consider a 0w40 but doubt you'd need it for a NewEngland climate.

B48 can use any BMW spec oil other than LL98.

If you have OPF avoid LL01/LL01fe
im in US i dont believe i have the OPF need to check, but its ok to use any OTS 0-20 or 0-30 castrol, mobil1 or pensoil even if they dont specify LL-17 FE

who makes the better 0-20, mobil1 EP, castro edge, pensoil platinum?

0w20 is for MPG

Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil1/Pennzoil have good Euro oils. I'd use a 0w30 or 5w30. I'd even consider a 0w40 but doubt you'd need it for a NewEngland climate.
ive always used castrol in all my cars mostly american camaros and corvettes this is the first BMW i own use it as the grocery getter as its great on fuel and still 2 door, right now it has the normal edge 0-20 with oem mann filter but noticed that it calls for LL-17 FE in the dash, what is the main difference between the LL-17 FE in euro spec oils vs a normal synthetic 0-20, i see a slight thinner grade in the LL-17 FE version

ive always used castrol in all my cars mostly american camaros and corvettes this is the first BMW i own use it as the grocery getter as its great on fuel and still 2 door, right now it has the normal edge 0-20 with oem mann filter but noticed that it calls for LL-17 FE in the dash, what is the main difference between the LL-17 FE in euro spec oils vs a normal synthetic 0-20, i see a slight thinner grade in the LL-17 FE version
You need to snoop around a bit. But quick tutorial:
1. LL17FE comes ONLY in 0W20, not 0W30.
2. What the manual probably suggests is LL01FE 0W30.
3. B46/48/58 use LL01 and LL04 on other markets.
4. "Tolerance?" SO how does your engine run cold?

Considering you do not have warranty anymore, use LL01 or LL04 approvals (LL17FE is basically a lighter version of LL04).

Mobil1 0W40 is readily available in Wals Mart, so is Quaker State 5W40, Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 and Castrol Edge 5W30 A3, and 5W40.
In Wal Mart, you can find Pennzoil Platinul Euro L 5W30 which is LL04.

In AAP and AZ you can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 on sale.

Personally, I would go:
Mobil1 0W40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 (online only).

If you still want to stick what manual says (absolutely no reason for it) you can go Motul Specific 5W30 LL01FE.

Do not use a non-Euro regular 0W-20 in this, the additive pack is weaker. If you can't find LL-17FE then use any BMW LL-01 or LL-04 you find.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Walmart. It’s got some pretty good approvals. There are BMW-LL04, MB 229.31, MB 229.51, ACEA C3,

Reactions: wlk

Both are good stuff. Any oil that meets the LL17 standard your car requires is ok to use.

My vote is to buy the cheapest LL17 because the cheapest approved LL17 is approved LL17 :)

Right now the Castrol LL17 is only $28, which is a great price!

im in US i dont believe i have the OPF need to check, but its ok to use any OTS 0-20 or 0-30 castrol, mobil1 or pensoil even if they dont specify LL-17 FE

who makes the better 0-20, mobil1 EP, castro edge, pensoil platinum?
Ya, you should not have OPF. I don't think you're going to find a big difference in the performance of bmw spec xw-20 oils.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

Napa has at least two oils that meet the required specs:
Valvoline Euro 0w20
Liqui-Moly 22046 (5L jug) or 22044 for the 1L

If your local Napa doesn't have it in stock, they can get it the next day.

Amazon carries both the Valvoline Euro 0w20 and the L-M Euro 0w20 in both 1L and 5L

My manual says to use LL-17 FE+ with viscosity's of 0-20 or 0-30 cant find any OTC that meets LL-17 FE+ what is everyone using? car is on stage 2 with no cat
This is what easily available in stores
Mobil 1 EP 0-20
Mobil 1 Fuel economy 0-20 and 0-30
Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 and 5-40
Pennzoil platinum and platinum ultra 0-20
castrol edge 0-20
castrol edge euro 5-40

Viscosity of approved 0-20 LL-17FE+ from castrol is
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C- 8.18
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C- 4

I'm not Euro expert but M1 ESP 0w-30 is readily available and would be fine in this car in my opinion.
I went with Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in my wife's 2018 BMW X1 with the B48 engine. It has the LL-04 spec approval.

Northeast USA

Your car is anything but stock, bud. Gotta use an oil GRADE that suits your conditions.

Engines are designed using CLEARENCES. Le me explain.

Clearance-measurement used in designing engines. It's a set measurement. Not a range.

Tolerance- deviation from a set mean. The deviation your rod bearings and crank bearings will experience if you keep messing around and using that 20 grade. Especially if you're road racing. Rods will leave the chat....see through engine blocks are cool only when manufacturers show them at trade shows.

Eco mode is too aggressive and in some instances in B46/48 engines it can lead to LSPI.
Any oil with MB229.52 in combination with LL04 is excellent choice.
Also, API SP is ok in new LL01 specifications.
Please expand on this. What is too aggressive??? Timing, does it upshift too soon causing extra load.....do tell.

I was not aware of German cars having major issues with LSPI. I know BMW colors with Yota. I know Yota colors with Subaru.

What is a scary thought is if BMW got talked into taking tuning tips from Subaru by Toyota.

Back