Cant Find diff & transfer case fluid 2012 RAV 4 85w-90. LiquiMoly?

I need to change my rear diff fluid and trasnfer case fluid. I cant find a Toyota shop manual for the car and the best I have is a Haynes manual. The Haynes manual says this year car takes Hypoid gear oil, GL-5 80w-90. The Haynes manual also says the rear diff & transfer case take the same fluid for this year car. I checked autozone, & advance and they dont carry anything 85w-90. I checked the dealership anf they do not sell it by the qt, and just have it in bulk 55 gal drums. I checked Amazon and the closest thing I found was Liqui Moly hear oil. The only thing I dont like is it says High Pressure gear oil. Is this ok to put in my Rav 4? Its the only thing that I can find that fits. I am also not sure if the Haynes manual is giving the correct information. Sometimes they arent all that correct.

This is the gear oil:

Thanks

Amazon has lots of 85W-90 GL-5 gear oil in gallon jugs. 80W-90 will work too. Since you will be changing the rear diff and transfer case, you will need not just 2 or 3 liters. You would want the gallon jug. Buy a hand pump as well, to get the oil in. And whatever you do, get the fill hole plug off first, then remove the drain plug.

Reactions: GON
In my 2011 RAV4 4WD I use Redline 75W-110. That's a bit thicker (when hot at 100C/212F) than the 80W-90 specified by Toyota, but not that thick as 140... At 40C (104F, high ambient temp summer) has similar viscosity as 80W-90.
One Qt in each side (transfer case and rear diff), Amazon had it for $18/Qt.

rear diff and transfer case are 90w above 0 degrees and 80w90 below 0 degrees according to Toyota TIS (factory service info system). We use Motul 90PA for them

My experience is that a GL-5 75W110 seems to provide the best oil film thickness for a wide range of temperatures in transfer cases and differentials that require a GL-5 75W90.
super interesting, Molakule. i’ve been running Amsoil SG 75W90 in my Toyota diffs for many years, but i always appreciate how your real-world insights augment the manufacturer recommendations.

Used amsoil SVG 75w90 which was in service for 6 years. Last month I put in amsoil SVG 75W140.

I need to change my rear diff fluid and trasnfer case fluid. I cant find a Toyota shop manual for the car and the best I have is a Haynes manual. The Haynes manual says this year car takes Hypoid gear oil, GL-5 80w-90. The Haynes manual also says the rear diff & transfer case take the same fluid for this year car. I checked autozone, & advance and they dont carry anything 85w-90. I checked the dealership anf they do not sell it by the qt, and just have it in bulk 55 gal drums. I checked Amazon and the closest thing I found was Liqui Moly hear oil. The only thing I dont like is it says High Pressure gear oil. Is this ok to put in my Rav 4? Its the only thing that I can find that fits. I am also not sure if the Haynes manual is giving the correct information. Sometimes they arent all that correct.

This is the gear oil:

Thanks

Weather permitting, any GL5 85 - 140 SAE grade can be used.

I'd recommend ANY GL5 75w90 in the transfer case and rear differential.

If you tow or live in a hot climate, you can consider a 75w110 or 75w140.

The only issue with the RAV4 is that the 4cyl has about as much spare power as my lawn mower. So, I'd stick with the 75w90 unless there is a reason to upgrade. If yours is a V6, use the 110 or 140 grades, and as always, I only recommend synthetic in these rarely changed and often forgotten fluids. How many miles and how often has it been changed?

Back