Can't find details on the black K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are pretty tempting at Link$5 on Amazon. I see an orange anti-drain back valve which is good and the media appears to be metal endcaps but I can't find info other than it's a semi-synthetic media. No spring either it's a sheet metal bypass.

Thoughts on these? My rule of thumb for filters is that it has metal endcaps, silicone anti-drain back, and it's 99% removal.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Cut one open here.

Looks good enough for me.

That's a performance Silver. I don't think it's the same filter. That has a spring instead of the sheet metal. Someone in the Amazon reviews/questions said it wasn't a silver.

What do you think the PS in the PS-1008 filter you linked stands for?

Pro Series??? lol

You win, I'll buy some.

What about this then, straight from the product page. Different that the coil spring you disassembled.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Thoughts on these? My rule of thumb for filters is that it has metal endcaps, silicone anti-drain back, and it's 99% removal.

99% removal at what size though? Every oil filter is rated at 99% removal of something, even my window screen is rated at "99% removal".

What about this then, straight from the product page. Different that the coil spring you disassembled.

That's marketing material.

Some may have a leaf, some may have a coil. Maybe they all used to have leaf springs. Maybe I cut an old one with a coil spring. You'll note that the filter I cut doesn't have a bypass valve either. You'll also note that the photo if the box in your Amazon link reads "Performance Silver."

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Thought Champion Labs was building them again? Not sure if the media is any good or not, no one is forthcoming with any information on them.

Champ builds the HP white can filters, at least for my application.

The PS cartridges and cans are made in Korea and China.

What do you think the PS in the PS-1008 filter you linked stands for? I bought it on Amazon as well, for the same $5.

ROFLMAO!!

I didnt want to say that so thank you roofless
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
What do you think the PS in the PS-1008 filter you linked stands for? I bought it on Amazon as well, for the same $5.

ROFLMAO!!

smile.gif

Is it really that funny? Could it not be Pro Series? You know... Like it says right in the description?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

ROFLMAO!!

smile.gif

Is it really that funny? Could it not be Pro Series? You know... Like it says right in the description?

[Linked Image]

Just messin with ya. Sheesh, lighten up already! I wont use a K&N filter anyways as I have easy access to tons of filters
smile.gif

I would put just a Walmart Supertech filter on my Toyota before I wasted my money on a K&N PS-1008 our spec are so high they are
Proprietary filter. They just want you to stop asking questions about the quality of their product and pay the K&N over priced sticker price. Now that didn't work they drop the price a little to dump them on you at 40% more than they are worth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

99% removal at what size though? Every oil filter is rated at 99% removal of something, even my window screen is rated at "99% removal".

Yeah, the typical "99% efficient" statement with no associated particle size works on most of the consumers ... the filter companies know it works, so they use it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by kschachn

Yeah, the typical "99% efficient" statement with no associated particle size works on most of the consumers ... the filter companies know it works, so they use it.

That's why the rating needs to be on the box rated at 20 microns.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
That's why the rating needs to be on the box rated at 20 microns.

I agree, that would be nice info for the consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back