Can’t explain to the elderly that they don’t need an oil change after 8mo/23 miles.

Men are crazy about oil change knowledge,,,I can say that because my birthcertificate says male,,,1946 lmaorof......never a ruined engine in my lifetime due to oil failure, we guys are nuts, left oil in a 74
f100 ford pickup for 3 years,never failed to start and ran well,,,so see, this oil change business is all up there in that concrete block between our ears,,of couse its true,,,I got it off the TV

I'll be waiting to read your post 5 years from now titled, "My engine is all sludged up despite changing the oil every 10,000 miles whether it need to be changed or not."

Well, considering I've been doing it on multiple vehicles for close to 15 years...you might be waiting a while on that.

This IS BITOG-most on here won't bat an eye at a 10K interval using a quality synthetic in a modern engine. Aside from that, the bulk of the miles I put on my daily are 60mph+ interstate miles in trips of 30 minutes or much longer-or in other words about the easiest kind of driving on both the engine and oil.

Last edited:
Aside from that, the bulk of the miles I put on my daily are 60mph+ interstate miles in trips of 30 minutes or much longer-or in other words about the easiest kind of driving on both the engine and oil.
I agree.
I did a few 10k changes when I was doing mostly highway driving, and the UOA came back just fine.

I don't do 10k changes in any of my vehicles because I do mostly short tripping or have warranty requirements.

If you're not on reddit you should be. Some great subs -

r/askcarsales
r/justrolledinforscrap
r/justrolledintotheshop
r/s****y_car_mods

If you're not on reddit you should be. Some great subs -

r/askcarsales
Just an old-boy forum. And some of the language and off color comments they use every day would be removed here in an instant. They still have a moderator named meatloaf? He banned me years ago just for calling him out on some facts he erroneously stated.

I know what you mean here since my sister owns a 2005 Lincoln Town Car that she basically used to take our Mother to church. This car has just over 12K miles on it and a whole door pocket full of dealer receipts. She had it serviced 2 times a year at the Ford dealer. Garage kept all its life. She had her license pull after a couple of accidents in her other car so I have the job of taking her everywhere she needs to go. It is like new, but she doesn't want me to sell it.

Like others have said, save that oil and put it somewhere in case of emergency for yourself! Lol.

If a little old lady says to change oil with 23 miles on it and you refuse, who do you think she is going to blame when the engine blows shortly after. She will tell all of her friends, and friends friends what a horrible shop you are running. Sad but true.

Funny story! Thanks for the post.

I met the OP's "opposite elderly"; clacking engine, dipstick rusted into the tube....I've mentioned her here 4 times at least.
Realizing that she might be threatened I broke off the conversation quickly by saying, "You need your oil changed immediately ma'am".
I didn't need some easily threatened or confused local person calling the cops in Nowheresville, USA.

Unfortunately, it's freedom and independence to an elderly person to have the ability to drive.

Fortunate or unfortunate, freedom and independence is very important for most folk. As I live in a senior based community I see this everyday. Most of the residents can’t walk very far. They use their cars to go to the mailbox station. A weekly trip to the store might be the longest trip the car sees.

Circumstances change as we get older and we quickly realize that we are not in control either. As long as they can drive safely I have no issue and I think most people think that way too.

Incidentally, my neighbor just bought a brand new Toyota Corolla. I doubt he puts even 500-700 miles a year on it. He takes it in every six months for service. But just being able to get out of the house makes it worth it to him.

Circumstances change as we get older and we quickly realize that we are not in control either. As long as they can drive safely I have no issue and I think most people think that way too.
I think that is the big thing.
My mom has told me several times that I need to let her know if I think it is not safe for her to drive anymore.
She knows she can't drive any distance at night, so she does not.
She does fine around town, but her highway driving days are about over, and I told her that a few weeks ago.

As I mentioned before, my mother in law has been told by her physician not to drive for a while, but she really needs to have her license taken away. She is not a safe driver, and is an accident waiting to happen. I have told my wife and her siblings this, and my brother in law is supposedly working on this.

I used to be fanatical about changing the oil by the manufacturers recommendation in terms of months. Now I just go by mileage. I don't worry how long it's been inside the engine. For example on my 98 Chevy K3500 has had the same oil in it for almost two years and almost 3,000 miles. I will change it when it hits 3,000 miles. Oil still looks clean and I drive it about once a week.

Along the lines of the freedom and something to do, etc, I think of my grandfather.

The Lincoln MKZ in my signature once belonged to him. A couple of days before his 90th birthday, he drove down to the Lincoln dealer in town and said "I'm turning 90-I want a new Lincoln." He traded in his 06 Town Car and paid cash for the balance.

By 2013, he'd gotten to where he had no business driving between eyesight and pretty serious breathing/heart problems. There were a half dozen people who he could have called 24 hours a day to take him anywhere, but by golly it didn't matter whether you showed up at 6:00AM or 5:00AM, no one was ever there early enough to take him to breakfast at the diner down the street.

After a couple of parking lot pole casualties and one very close call with a school bus going into the school across the street from him, he finally more or less gave in-or at least he would for a few days at a time.

Finally, my dad bought the car from him to take the temptation away(he had enough spare keys squirreled away that even if he'd agree to let us take them, he'd come up with one-and that's saying someone at ~$200 each from the dealership for a guy who was torn up that McDonalds wouldn't sell him a senior coffee for 25¢ anymore). The car had 17K miles on it when my dad bought it, and the vast majority of those were from other people driving him back and forth between NC and KY before he finally decided to move for good.

Back