Can't decide on oil for a used Jetta 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought this car used for my daughter with 52,000 miles. This will be it's first oil chnage for me, dealer changed it with who knows what when we bought it. Currently running RX and wondering what to put in when I drain it. Specs seem to lean towards heavier oils, but they recommend everything from 5w30 to 10w60. Should I go with M1 0w40 or 15w50? BTW, she doesn't put on that many miles, so this fill may see some winter use.

I vote for Mobil 1 0W-40. This oil should be more than up to the task and you will have MUCH better cold weather performance. The difference in fuel economy could also be as high as 2 or 3% and I also think you will get less engine wear with the 0W-40. I would only suggest using the 15W-50 if the car was using (burning) a lot of oil or your daughter was racing the car. The 0W-40 oil also meets all the latest European Specs like ACEA A3/B3 and B4-02. And also MB 229.3 and 229.5 as well as the requirements of Porsche,BMW etc.

I'd go with 0w-40 M1, but if the car likes heavier weight 30's, go with Amsoil. They are on the higher end of the 30wt scale. Delvac 1, if you can find it would be a good choice too. If your going to extended drains, check out Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30. This is a very good oil.

[ July 02, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Pajohn you should run dino after RX for a while for the oil seals. Run 0W40 after that.

Is that really necessary? Could I just use dino for 1 or 2k and then switch to M1?

I wouldn't go over a 10w30 for this engine, preferable would be 5w30 or 0w30.

This engine produces little power to displacement so your probably not stressing the oil much at all, especially a synthetic.

BTW, what does the book recommend? Just curious.

I've had excellent results running 10w-30 synthetics in these VW engines. I'd start with the M1, 10w-30 and see how that does. The VW viscosity/temp chart is for conventional oils and you can go one grade thinner with a synlube.

TooSlick

Formally you need oil that has VW 502.00 approval. At the very least I would look for something with ACEA A3 rating.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

BTW, what does the book recommend? Just curious.

There's a chart that show's:

Energy conserving oils: 5w30, 5w40,10w30, 10w40.

Multigrade only oils:
from -20 to 100f 5w50, 10w50, 10w60
from -20 to 60f 5w30, 5w40
from 10 to 60f 10w30, 10w40
from 10 to 100f 15w40, 15w50, 20w40, 20w50

So it seems to recomend the heavier oils, No?

I don't know how long you've had this Jetta or what body style it is but you may want to wait and see if you have one of the notorious oil burners. Many of the 2.0 liter VW's will burn a quart every 1000 miles so you may find that synthetic can get expensive.

Tooslick is correct about the viscosity recommendations. VW is assuming you will buy the cheapest "dino" oil you can find. However I still think the M 1 0W-40 would be the best OTC oil you could use. Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40 would be a very good choice if you want to try using the oil for longer drain intervals.

I hope this car doesn't turn out to be an oil burner but if you had very high oil consumption you could also try Castrol Syntec 5W-50. We have three UOA's of this oil on this forum and they all looked good.

PaJohn, what year is the Jetta? Also please let us know what oil you decide to use.

[ July 03, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

It's a 1999 NEW style Jetta. Have put about 2k on it and it's only down 1/2 qt or so. I'll let you know what I decide to put in. I'll also be doing an UOA after the first flush of the RX.

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
Bought this car used for my daughter with 52,000 miles. This will be it's first oil chnage for me, dealer changed it with who knows what when we bought it. Currently running RX and wondering what to put in when I drain it. Specs seem to lean towards heavier oils, but they recommend everything from 5w30 to 10w60. Should I go with M1 0w40 or 15w50? BTW, she doesn't put on that many miles, so this fill may see some winter use.

VW dealerships usually use Castrol GTX dino oil in their gassers unless you specify a semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

I say only use a full synthetic oil in any vehicle you drive. The brand you choose is totally up to you. I use Amsoil myself.

Being in PA I'd use a 5w-30 or 0w-30.

Interesting topic. My girlfriend's '01 Jetta 2.0 has about 17K miles right now. VW dealer has been putting 5w-30 in it, Quaker State dino I believe. She's up in Wisconsin.

I've been pondering what oil to have her use as well, now that her free dealer maintenance period is over. Since, as someone else mentioned, this engine isn't particularly hard on oil, I was thinking to just stick with regular dino, maybe Pennzoil or Castrol GTX, 5w-30, at 5K mile intervals, like the manual recommends.

However, given that she doesn't drive all that much (it takes her about 7-8 months to run up 5K miles) and that winters can be pretty harsh in WI, I'm wondering if I should have her use M1 5w-30 or similar synthetic. I just know she's not going to like the price of this, unless I can extend the interval to 10K miles with this oil. But then again, she has an extended warranty from VW which may be denied if she doesn't change her oil every 5K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.
confused.gif

Are you sure the manual says 5000 miles? IIRC only the 1.8T changes every 5000. My old 1998 Passat 1.8T had 5000 mile oil changes.

The 2.0 should be at least 7500. The TDI is 10k (using synthetic).

But to please the warranty requirements, she must follow the maintenance schedule. And if the manual does say every 5000, then she better change it every 5000. And being in cold WI 5w-30 would be the best choice in dino oils.

OK, I re-read her maintenance booklet, and for the 2.0 engine it actually says to change oil at 5K, 10K, and then every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.

In this case, she will probably hit 12 months sooner than 10K miles, so would you say to just
(a) run a 5w-30 synthetic and replace it once a year or
(b) run 5w-30 dino replaced every 5K miles?

offtopic.gif
Sorry PaJohn, didn't mean to steal your post, but hopefully you can benefit from this as well.

Sorry for bringing thos post up again, but what would you guys think about my trying Amsoil 0W30 in this engine given the great results I got with this oil in my S4? I'm a little concerned that VW specs heavier oils for this car as follows:

Energy conserving oils: 5w30, 5w40,10w30, 10w40.

Multigrade only oils:
from -20 to 100f 5w50, 10w50, 10w60
from -20 to 60f 5w30, 5w40
from 10 to 60f 10w30, 10w40
from 10 to 100f 15w40, 15w50, 20w40, 20w50

I really hate keeping all different oils around for different cars. I'm going to try the 0W30 in the Acura MDX which specs 5W20, so I'd really like to just use the Amsoil in everything. Maybe buy a 30 gallon drum.
rolleyes.gif

I'd go for it. You might want to wait until the results come back from your 0w-40. That way you won't have to order any oil at all. Amsoil's warehouse is in Lancaster, Pa, about 2hrs from me and there shipments get here in 1-2 days. Can't go wrong with Amsoil, just depends on whether you want to order the oil via mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back