Can't decide on oil for a used Jetta 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work on VWs full time. DEFINITELY keep your eye on the oil level. Even the new generation 2.0s like to drink oil. From my experience, I'd suggest a 40 weight syn(0, 5 or 10). The 30s seem to burn off quicker.

-Mike P

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
OK, I re-read her maintenance booklet, and for the 2.0 engine it actually says to change oil at 5K, 10K, and then every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.

In this case, she will probably hit 12 months sooner than 10K miles, so would you say to just
(a) run a 5w-30 synthetic and replace it once a year or
(b) run 5w-30 dino replaced every 5K miles?

I'd definitely use a synthetic oil. And go with VW recommendations, 12 months or 10k miles, which ever comes first.

You can use a 0w-30 or a 0w-40 if you want the extra cold cranking properties. A 5w-30 will work just as well too.

It's true the VW 2.0 is known to use oil. So with this in mind, I'd recommend Amsoil XL-7500 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40. It's the least expensive full synthetic oil Amsoil offers at a suggested retail price of $5.20 per quart. If you order direct from Amsoil you'll pay retail price. If you order from an independant dealer, you might get a discount.

PaJohn, I think either Amsoil 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would work very well. Remember that the Amsoil 0W-30 has an HT/HS viscosity of 3.5 and is a little thicker than most xxW-30 motor oils at operating temperature. I would just pick whichever of the two oils you think is the best and use it in everything.

I think the Amsoil 0W-30 is the superior oil but it is also more expensive.
dunno.gif

I have one of these engines, in a Golf (actually a GTI) not a Jetta. I think it specs 5w30.

For this car, I'd use whatever's on sale at Wallyworld. I need an excuse to get rid of it and get a VR6
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back