Cant decide! Oil for 01 mustang gt racing use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im stuck. I can't decide and i need to change it tonight!
I dont think I'm comfortable with 5w20 motorcraft.
It currently has PP 5-30 in the sump.
I'm currently debating M1 0w40 or PP 5w30 or maybe valvoline synthetic as its on sale at advance.
Opinions? I think I'll use a pureone filter. or maybe bosch distanceplus.
Also of note, I'll be racing it down the 1/4 mile at the dragway in epping this saturday so its going to be abused
wink.gif
Engine is stock with the exception of a drop-in K&N
which may be replaced tonight if anyone knows of a comprable flowing paper filter? (I dont expect a match on flow, just i'd like to get one close to it.)

Also anyone heard of this 6 quarts myth? (supposedly the newer ones used the same oil pan and pickup but a different dipstick and fill capacity? or there are oil starvation issues under abuse?)
Opinions?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
cut off the mufflers
laugh.gif

grin.gif
the idea crossed my mind for weight savings
grin.gif

I've got a 2"3/4 cat back with borla stinger type mufflers ordered just wont be here in time. should be lighter. And as far as power is concerned, actually the mufflers dont offer much resistance on the oem setup. OTOH, the factory manifolds and cats/h pipe are far more restrictive. but the noise from an aftermarket is nice provided it isnt too obnoxiously loud :p

haha i know, but it wouldn't hurt especially since you're getting a new set...and what do u mean too obnoxiously loud? no such thing! unless it's a honda 4 banger with a can...

PP 5-30 will be fine. Also,any Wix or NAPA Gold paper air filter will outflow a K&N. Trust me on this one. I've seen it on the dyno.

I use M1 0W-40 in my Marauder, but for a non boosted application 5W-30 should be fine...

As far as the air filter goes, there is a Cali company called aFe (it stands for Advanced Flow Engineering, I believe) they manufacture a 'dry flow' air filter called a "Pro Dry S", which uses NO oil to foul MAFs/SD sensors but flows as well as a; K&N, Holley, Green, Airhog, Air Raid, etc, etc., and outflows (their claim) ALL paper filters.
It is cleaned just like an Amsoil EaA filter (another possibility), either with a shop vac, or with LOW pressure compressed air.

They make both a direct fit OEM style, and a complete cold air system for your pony.

Now, of course, most on here will flame/dis on this filter as well, and claim that an off the shelf Wix, Fram, Puro, etc. will flow just as well, and let in 300% LESS sand, silicone, dirt, etc.

Is that correct, and the truth?? I don't know.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: brandini
Drag is not abuse, road racing is. Don't worry about it, your oil won't notice much difference.

Agree, and stick with the 20wt oil since the oil temp's are more often than not not even up to normal at the start of a run.

Here's a racers tip for you. Run Toyota 0W-20, it contains a boatload of moly and has a much lower operational viscosity than any other 20wt oil at sub normal temp's. Less oil drag equals more power.

Bet a lot of those cars have gone down the track with 5w-20 dino oil in the sump and lived to race another day.

I'd still run 5w-30, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back