Canola-based Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you can use it in your deep fryer:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-029.html

"Oil changes from petroleum to bio-based oils also show very significant reductions in tailpipe exhaust emissions (Fig. 6). In a petroleum to petroleum cycle (Pet-pet), hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and nitrous oxides (NOx) all show increases over the 6,500 km test period. Conversion from petroleum to a bio-based motor oil (pet-can) has an immediate and dramatic decrease in exhaust emissions. Continued use of the bio-oil continued to decrease HC production while giving no additional losses to the already depressed CO and NOx production."

According to the Purdue study that Brian referenced, the use of bio-lubricants which offer lower wear, lower emissions, higher stability, and breakdown established sludge and clean it out is indeed "insane" from the standpoint of the international petroleum "oligarchs". The fact that these products are a renewable resource and can be grown on land the gub'mnt is currently paying farmers not to farm makes the plan all the more "insane". By the way, Lubegard products' claim to fame is the comapny's development of "liquid wax esters" derived from various so-called "seed" oils, including, but not limited to: rape seed, sunflower seed, peanuts (thank George Washington Carver for starting the ball rolling on that one back in the 30s when no one except the Germans took synthetic lubricants seriously), and - wait for it - canola oil. I guess Lubegard's head honcho, Phillip Landis - former head of Mobil Oil's research labs until his retirement in the early '80s, is insane, too. (Lotta crazies runnin' around loose, but, at least not here, huh?...
wink.gif
)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
According to the Purdue study that Brian referenced, the use of bio-lubricants which offer lower wear, lower emissions, higher stability, and breakdown established sludge and clean it out is indeed "insane" from the standpoint of the international petroleum "oligarchs". The fact that these products are a renewable resource and can be grown on land the gub'mnt is currently paying farmers not to farm makes the plan all the more "insane". By the way, Lubegard products' claim to fame is the comapny's development of "liquid wax esters" derived from various so-called "seed" oils, including, but not limited to: rape seed, sunflower seed, peanuts (thank George Washington Carver for starting the ball rolling on that one back in the 30s when no one except the Germans took synthetic lubricants seriously), and - wait for it - canola oil. I guess Lubegard's head honcho, Phillip Landis - former head of Mobil Oil's research labs until his retirement in the early '80s, is insane, too. (Lotta crazies runnin' around loose, but, at least not here, huh?...
wink.gif
)

Ditto.

Canola oil is rape seed oil. I guess having "rape seed" oil on the kitchen shelf would tend to have a negative effect on the marketing.

quote:

wink.gif
)

I can except a switch as long as one line of these oils is green, made in the Black Forest or Bavaria or Interlachen and smells like flowers blooming along the shores of Lake Como on a warm spring afternoon.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Ditto.

427Z06, doesn't it just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling in the knowledge that your active duty band of brothers in Iraq are dying on a daily basis so you can buy non-renewable, but cheap (for the time being) petroleum products? That's insane, not investigating alternatives!

[ August 07, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

They've been making bio-diesel out of rape seed in Europe for decades. Smells like French fries if you drive behind a car that uses it. Rape seed fields are very pretty -- if you like yellow and don't mind rape seed beetles.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
-- if you like yellow and don't mind rape seed beatles.

m'man, my fellow gelato fan...I can take their music for awhile but if you play it too long all their songs sound alike.
grin.gif

PS Are you certain the exhaust doesn't smell like pommes frittes?

Jawoll, das sind gute Fritten, aber französisch sind die wohl nicht. Eher belgisch!

I must... aplogize.
wink.gif

Nor sure about the music. I have no love for Volksmusik or Nina Hagen.

PS: You replied and quoted my typo! The 'Rape Seed Beatles' soounds like a decent name for a band.

There once was a time that gasoline was just a waste product and dumped because it was too volatile to be used for anything.
http://chemcases.com/fuels/fuels-06.htm
Technology changed and now most vehicles use gasoline as a fuel.

The problem with anything new is only for those with CLOSED MINDS.

Cooking oil shouldn't be dumped into the crankcase; neither should raw crude!
Technology is being developed to deal with the over exaggerated issues with plant or animal based lubrication. Just like mineral oil, some type of refining or bio-engineering will be needed.

Open your minds and invest in the future.

http://www.agromgt.com/online files/synopsis1a.htm
http://www.sterlinggrade.com/index.htm
http://www.renewablelube.com/products/racing.htm
http://www.hyperlube.com/prod_racing.asp
http://www.silkoleneshop.com/products/oil/engine/15250050.html
http://www.lubegard.com/about.html
http://www.auto-rx.com

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Jawoll, das sind gute Fritten, aber französisch sind die wohl nicht. Eher belgisch!

Belgier ist GUT, aber ich bevorzuge Deutsch oder Schweizer!

quote:

quote:

Ditto.

427Z06, doesn't it just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling in the knowledge that your active duty band of brothers in Iraq are dying on a daily basis so you can buy non-renewable, but cheap (for the time being) petroleum products? That's insane, not investigating alternatives!

What side am I...errr...you on? Are you being facetious? Or am I a can short of a six-pack tonight?

pscholte, where do they grow the gummi-bears they use in the green elixor of all that is beautiful and righteous. And when they harvest the gummi-bears are they a green color?
grin.gif

has anyone ever priced the cost of a gallon of biodiesel or a gallon of renewable motor oil?

how would you people feel about paying 30%-90% (depending on distro) higher fuel prices with no increase in gas mileage, and infact a slight decrease. lack of cold start pumpability too.

now, i havet priced renewable lubes, i never seen any for sale yet but you can bet they will cost more than redline.

i am all for technology. if rape seed lubes could effectively replace current oils and remain cost competitive then i wouldnt mind it. but as it currently is, these things just cant cut it. they are not mature enough for market and they shouldnt be pushed down anyones throats.
our current supply of oil will last very long time and we dont need new fangled expensive oils yet. i say they should give it enough time to mature the process enough to make the lubes and alternative fuels good enough and cost competitive enough to replace current resources. then and only then should they be offered, and wihout any goverment help.

quote:

What side am I...errr...you on? Are you being facetious? Or am I a can short of a six-pack tonight?

Fecetious to a point - but only to point out that things is a changin' in the world, and not to the Western democracies' benefit. Exploring alternate energy and lube sources is simply the prudent thing to do given this reality. No affront to the American and British fighting man's courage and professionalism intended - they're the best in the world. I just don't believe in sending good men through a meat grinder unnecessarily and indefinitely so five sheiks and an ayatolla can add to their already obscene wealth...

[ August 08, 2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Well, Ray, I'm lost, cause my first comment was to agree with you.

As far as war over resources, I don't get too excited, since man has done this since the start of and probably way before recorded history. If people want to keep on driving large PUs and SUVs with crappy gas milage, we got to get the oil from someplace. At least until there comes a time when certain people can make money selling other forms of energy in large enough quantities to meet the demands of ours and the world's economies.

And further, I don't see us so much as "taking" the oil from the mideast, as I do see us making sure no one else gets their hand on the tap, and then holding the world hostage to whatever crazy idea they have as to how they think the world should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back