Cannot find PTU vent on 13' Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Sedan.

I have one that is plugged and is preventing me from refilling it. Car is disabled and I cannot find photos online. FordTechMackuloco youtube has a vent hose on an explorer that he uses to fill , however on mine there is an upper and lower drain plug. I drain and then pump the fluid back in the bottom hole just like you would a boat motor. However it is building pressure and will not fill up.

Unless I am blind as a bat, I cannot find a vent hose.

Different vehicle, but I believe on the transfercase/PTU on our 2019 Pathfinder, the vent hole is in the space where the T-case and transmission meet. No way to get at it.

I must be misunderstanding.

You stated you drained it out the bottom, drain hole, and now are trying to put new in the bottom, drain hole, instead of using the top, fill hole?

Gravity! ;)

Did you look for the vent hose in the area shown in this video?

Last edited:
... however on mine there is an upper and lower drain plug. I drain and then pump the fluid back in the bottom hole just like you would a boat motor. However it is building pressure and will not fill up.
I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, but wouldn't the "upper" be a fill hole? Or, if you want to fill it like a boat motor, fill from the bottom and use the upper as the weep hole (and vent) to know when it's full?

Back