Canister filter surprise. Cts 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pressure regulator valve and the bypass valve need to be cleaned to prevent a reoccurrence.

The filter can easily collapse when: 1) oil viscosity is high 2) PRV and BP valves are stuck closed.

You likely can find YouTube videos for cleaning them.

Non oem canister filter is what happened. Had the same problem in my parents Mazda 3 and my sister's Cruze when I deviated from
OEM canister filter...

You got a problem and it is not installation error or use of a non OEM filter. Like others mentioned, probably a bypass valve problem.

One cause of a collapsed filter is too thick oil. Especially in cold temps.

Last edited:
I'll be a son of a monkeys uncle!

Looks like JUNK! With capital J

Interested in hearing back story on what "stiffy lube" installed this
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I'll be a son of a monkeys uncle!

Looks like JUNK! With capital J

Interested in hearing back story on what "stiffy lube" installed this
wink.gif

I can't stand the suspense! How about filling in the details?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks like it was bound in the housing and distorted by twisting it while screwing the cap on or off, probably off. When I install mine in a 3.6 Pentastar I lube the top and bottom plastic base along with the two O-rings so it won't bind.

I'd bet you're right. I'd pull the new filter in a couple hundred miles or so and see what it looks like.

I don't know the dimensional particulars of that filter and car, but if support of the center of the media is as deficient as it is in some other cartridge filters I've seen, then the fact that the media collapsed doesn't have the same implications as collapse of the metal center tube of a typical spin-on filter. In other words, I'm not convinced the relief valve is necessarily at fault.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks like it was bound in the housing and distorted by twisting it while screwing the cap on or off, probably off. When I install mine in a 3.6 Pentastar I lube the top and bottom plastic base along with the two O-rings so it won't bind.

I'd bet you're right. I'd pull the new filter in a couple hundred miles or so and see what it looks like.

Yes pulling the filter in a few hundred miles or so would be a good idea. Going forward I'd lube it up as I mentioned before installing it. I'd be willing to bet that solves the problem. A Fram Ultra if available for the application wouldn't hurt either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: CT8
FRAM made in China. The filter says it all.

Being made in China has nothing to do with quality. Chinese will make something to whatever level you're willing to pay for. See iPhone.
Apparently Fram didn't specify a high quality level.

What does the center tube look like? The oil and filter don't look so dirty so why would it need bypass? Faulty installation or filter, probably. Delco may have upgraded the part number on this. I would get a filter at the Cadillac dealer and talk to them about it. GM made the car, the filter they use is the right one.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
What does the center tube look like? The oil and filter don't look so dirty so why would it need bypass? Faulty installation or filter, probably. Delco may have upgraded the part number on this. I would get a filter at the Cadillac dealer and talk to them about it. GM made the car, the filter they use is the right one.

You realize cars go into bypass all the time, even with a new filter right? This is why a tiny tear in a filter media doesn't really matter.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: CT8
FRAM made in China. The filter says it all.

Being made in China has nothing to do with quality. Chinese will make something to whatever level you're willing to pay for. See iPhone.
Apparently Fram didn't specify a high quality level.
I Thank you

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

You realize cars go into bypass all the time, even with a new filter right? This is why a tiny tear in a filter media doesn't really matter.

There are two relief valves on car engines, not likely both defective at once. An oil filter center tube has to be able to withstand the relief valve pressure setting without collapsing.
A tiny tear on a filter means almost all the oil is unfiltered until the flow is enough to exceed back pressure or "delta P" through the media. Until that point is reached the tear is an unrestricted hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back