canadiantire oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys

i just went to canadian tire this am,
they have their own brand of synthetic oil on sale for 19.99 o0 5w20 4.4litres ,this seems to be agreat price ,but can anyone tell me how good this oil is?
my 2003 accord 3litre v6 requires 5w20, should i try it ? up to know the dealer has done all my oil changes, but i would like to start doing my own .
any suggestions are appreciated,regards.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it and it's a good price for synthetic. Even in Toronto I prefer a 0W for winter (such as M1 0W-20, if you can find it), but you don't get cold enough that it's a necessity.

It is almost certainly a Group III synthetic so Imperial oil's (ESSO) XD-3 0W30 is a better deal being a PAO based "True Synthetic". And it's only 4 bucks and change. You can get it at NOCO Lubricants in Etobicoke or I believe you can order it through Imperial oil's web site.

Canadian Tire's oils are made by Shell, apparently, other than that not much is known about it. At that price, it's not a bad buy. 20 bucks for a synthetic 5w20 is a good price, so stock up if you can.

Read the label of that Formula 1 synthetic.

It says meets corvette spec GM 4718 N .
Theres no such thing.

Its GM 4718 M

See the back of Mobil 1 bottle.

Dunno if I trust whats in it if they can't get the label right.

Hm, it sure looked like an M when I last checked. I'm going in to CT tomorrow to pick up a few quarts of Maxlife (on sale for $2.57) so I'll check then.

hey guys i see you are right about the gm 4718 n,
but does this make a difference to my motor?
i think it must be a quality oil ,since the 5w20 is to SM specs and GF-4 classifications ,it must be superior to non and semi synthetics as stated on the back of the 4.4litre jug i bought,or is it just false advertising.
i think i am going to dump it and i'll let you know

I'm sure it's just a printing error, as I could see big, huge legal trouble if they decided to just make up an oil spec that sounded close to one that actually is real. 5000 kms would be wasting it, even a good 'dino' could do that or more, so a synthetic should be able to run at least 7500 km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back