Canadians: M1 EP now available at Cdn Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this week's advertising at Canadian Tire:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 & 10W-30 synthetic motor oil at:
$10.49 Cdn/1L bottle & $45.99 Cdn/Jug

It says that it is, "Exclusive to Canadian Tire".

Throw in a K&N filter, tax and enviro fees and you've got yourself an $80 oil change! No thanks..lol
wink.gif

Us Canadians get hammered at the cash register. The prices I've seen at CT, and other retailers, is the main reason I simply puchase from amsoil directly. XL 5w20 for my 06 crv is just $5.50 a quart. Castrol Syntec is $9 a quart at CT, and the best sale price I've seen for Syntec is $25 for a 4.4 quart jug. M1 is almost always over $10 a quart. Too much money.

My oil change, DIY, cost me approximately $35 with a Napa Gold filter. Not bad considering the dealer charges $40 for gtx and a fram filter
smile.gif

I wonder how much of the stuff would they sell. Watch for the sale price in fall, although I doubt they will drop more then 10%.
Exclusiveness, that's what I don't like, although I like CT very much.
XD-3 is what sounds much more reasonable. Also, you can always pick up some M1EP whenever you go to the US, at much better price.
BTW, at $45.99 plus tax over 20k km OCI the oil represents 2.61% of the maintenance expenses for my car. Fuel is 78.11%; tires: 4.53%; rust proofing: 3.55%; ATF (M1 DexIII 4L over 20k km OCI): 2.17%.
The point is- even the most expensive oil is still cheap.

Since M1 EP says it's good for 20,000 km or 1 year, if people follow that schedule instead of every 3 months with cheap dino, it'd still save money/time/the environment even if they get a good filter to match.

Over a year:

M1EP jug ($46) + Wix filter ($10) = $56

vs

4 Motomaster jugs (4x$13) + 4 Fram filters (4x$5) = $72

My local CT stocks a bit of Amsoil and Redline oils with similar pricing to the new EP. The bottles looked pretty dusty so I don't think they sell much, atleast around here. 5000km OCI's is still the norm in these parts.

quote:

Originally posted by 99 GASE2:
According to this week's advertising at Canadian Tire:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 & 10W-30 synthetic motor oil at:
$10.49 Cdn/1L bottle & $45.99 Cdn/Jug

It says that it is, "Exclusive to Canadian Tire".

Holy mackeral!$50 with taxes...I'll stick with my XD-3 also!

46 bucks for one jug of M1EP? Yowza! You can get what, like 3 or 4 jugs of XD3 synthetic at an Esso bulk lubes dealer for something like 60 bucks.

In case you're like me and feel left out by not knowing what is going on in this thread...

$10.49 CAD = $9.29 USD
and
$45.99 CAD = $40.75 USD

Now i understand your reactions
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
46 bucks for one jug of M1EP? Yowza! You can get what, like 3 or 4 jugs of XD3 synthetic at an Esso bulk lubes dealer for something like 60 bucks.

True. Although Esso does not advertise 15k miles warranty... I use XD-3, and plan to take it to 10k km, but there is no evidence yet that XD-3 is equivalent to M1EP in longivety, wear, etc. It is diesel oil too...

The worst problem I find for changing the oil in the winter is getting the **** car up on my wheel ramps!!! One time it took my 6 tries to get a car on ramps in the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by yugrus:

quote:

Originally posted by 55:

True. Although Esso does not advertise 15k miles warranty... I use XD-3, and plan to take it to 10k km, but there is no evidence yet that XD-3 is equivalent to M1EP in longivety, wear, etc. It is diesel oil too...

Actually if you read the webpage facts on the XD-3, Esso says extended drain periods are recommended only with comprehensive UOAs'.I use this full pao synthetic due to availability,price,performance and I'm not really into extended drains.I am like most on this board...like doing service on my vehicles,with quality products, but don't want to dump $50 in oil & filters every three thousand miles.I use the XD-3 with either a Napa Gold or Baldwin HPG oil filter and do 4 month ,6 thousand mile,oil changes.Yes I know the XD-3 will go further but for the price of the stuff I can play
fruit.gif

All good points about XD-3 and its value. What I'm saying is if your goal is not extended OCI, M1EP is not for you. I see this oil's purpose to be the first modern attempt by the major market player in North America to give consumers fully backed-up extended OCI. This is its goal.
You'll be fine with 8k km OCI on just Havoline dino. Or XD-3 for that matter.

I don't understand why Mobil 1 is so pricy.
We had a price reduction here in Canada with AMSOIL products. At least most of the products were reduced. Some did go up slightly.
Of course my price to Bitog members in Canada is very good.

Who needs this overpriced Mobil when XD3 is a fraction of the cost. Yugrus let me know when you do a UOA I am nearing 8000 km on my run of XD3 and going to do one at 15,000 km.

M1 @ Canadian Tire = Overpriced Oil @ Price gouging company. Bad combination.

I saw a box of 5x 1Qt. Valvoline 5w-30 for $8.00 at wal-mart....and it came with a Hotwheels car inside.

A few blocks away at Canadian Tire the same 5Qt box with the hotweels car was $19.99. Canadian tire is generally a rip-off pricing wise....as just about every Canadian knows.

We Canadians aren't used to American-style oil pricing (except for xd-3) but I have to say $8/5Qts is pretty excellent. I like the trend!!

Probably just the ticket for the compulsive 3k mile/5k km oil changers in the group...given that valvoline can be a little light additive-wise. Now I have a use for my 6 bottle stash of VSOT squirrelled from south of the border.

Fine, let us compare some options:

According to Vilan:

20K km / 1 year
M1EP jug ($46) + Wix filter ($10) = $56

XD3 0W30 is about $5.50/L x 4.4L = $24.20 jug
13K OCI / 1 year
XD3 jug ($24.20) + ? filter ($5.80) = $30
20K km / 2 years = $30 x 1.54 = $46.20

Decent dino can be found on sale every few months. I bought Castrol HM jugs @ $10.50 the other week and QS Peak Performance jugs @ $10 some time ago.

7K / 1 year OCI
Dino ($10) + ? filter ($5) = $15
20K km / 3 years = $15 x 2.9 = $43.50

M1EP cost $56 vs XD3 cost $46.20 vs dino cost $43.50

Some may consider XD3 OCI conservative or not. Dino OCI is certainly within reasonable limits. Clearly they are both cheaper. The only advantage M1EP has less labor (fewer changes) which may be a factor in winter. I use XD3 in winter becuase I don't want to mess with oil at below freezing temps.

Still dino gives you peace of mind of more frequent changes at lower cost, so long as you don't mind the extra work. I do agree about longer OCI and less waste oil, but these M1 prices are driving me nuts. Even GC is up to $9/L. I just can't see paying $9+ for synthetic when decent dino is easily found for $2.5

P.S.: Regarding the comparison of regular priced M1EP to dino sale prices, M1 is not on sale often and then only for a 10%-20% discount, so the comparison is still more or less correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back