Canadian Troops should take their Weapons Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start a bit of an Internet movement to allow ALL troops, and Reservists, be allowed to take their duty weapoon home.

I think they should be allowed to carry them in public as well.

Who would agree?

A Reservist was shot today with an UNLOADED WEAPON guarding a tomb in Ottawa today.

IF YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY AND YOU GO HOME AT NIGHT YOU SHOULD TAKE YOUR AR, CAR, M-16, BERETTA HOME WITH YOU.

And be allowed to wear it IN PUBLIC.

We need our troops to defend us and themselves. This is just stupid.

US Troops too. I am miserable to think that he was alive long enough that he could have done a number on his killer if he had a full clip of 5.56.

What a [censored] feeling to die that way.

Having an empty rifle robbed this man of a great self satisfaction of defending this country.

He was truly robbed of that.

Who do we have running things up here? WHO???

He was robbed of his life by a policy that focuses on the public's right to be "safe" instead of on his right to defend himself and others.

No magazines/ammo in the weapon for guards was US policy for a while, but it was born of fear of lawyers and the absence of a real threat. Now that the threat is clear, we provide training to ensure that the loaded weapon is correctly used. Ironically, that training was what was really needed all along, in order to make the public safe.

Disarming guards/military simply makes them less safe...

Last edited:
An intrepid soldier might decide to conceal carry.It'll be on his own head if something happens,the gov't will never have his back in court just the opposite, actually.But it's better than being dead with your little ones at home never seeing you again.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
An intrepid soldier might decide to conceal carry.It'll be on his own head if something happens,the gov't will never have his back in court just the opposite, actually.But it's better than being dead with your little ones at home never seeing you again.

Not likely. Random searches at gates/entry points ensure that the average soldier is unable to carry concealed on base. No private weapons are allowed on US installations. Get caught with one, and your career is over.

That's why the Fort Hood shooting (and others that happened on base) were so bloody. Only the guards had the ability to shoot back...the victims never had a chance, despite being soldiers...

Very true simple_gifts, I wrote in haste.

Sorry, he was carrying an unloaded weapon and was shot.

He died slow enough that he could have killed or injured the terrorist that killed him.

I used to have nightmares when I was 12 that my 870 slide binds and I couldn't shoot a rabbit.

The feeling of ultimate helplessness must have crushed this guy.

Just unbelievable.

The official government position in Canada and the US is that you should be nice to criminals and terrorists and they'll be nice to you. Think only pure thoughts and the government will take care of you.

I understand you fully OneEye,

But the Military is the very people the tin hat people fear.

Let these guys fulfill their duty.

Even I have a gun and I can shoot back if someone is trying to kill me.

We need our Military on guard now, hand them a full mag for Pete's sake.

i agree everyone should be armed everywhere in the us.. Most States most everyone carries. I am licensed to carry but i don't all the time.

And tomorrow is the 31st anniversary of the 1983 Beirut barracks bombings involving sentries who could not have a loaded mag in their weapons.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/us-embassy-in-beirut-hit-by-massive-car-bomb

This is in addition to the shootings at Fort Hood, the Navy yard, and the worst non-school-related mass shooting in Killeen that prompted a big change in the CCW laws in Texas.

Can we learn anything from history?

Originally Posted By: Falken
I want to start a bit of an Internet movement to allow ALL troops, and Reservists, be allowed to take their duty weapoon home.

I think they should be allowed to carry them in public as well.

Who would agree?

A Reservist was shot today with an UNLOADED WEAPON guarding a tomb in Ottawa today.

IF YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY AND YOU GO HOME AT NIGHT YOU SHOULD TAKE YOUR AR, CAR, M-16, BERETTA HOME WITH YOU.

And be allowed to wear it IN PUBLIC.

We need our troops to defend us and themselves. This is just stupid.

They used to issue weapons and ammunition to members of the Swiss Army Reserve, since most of the Army is a conscripted citizen reserve there. They stopped issuing ammunition after a mass shooting when a part time soldier went berserk and shot a dozen or more people. It just isn't going to happen, the liability alone will not be acceptable...

That being said, the memorial is now guarded by heavily armed RCMP's I imagine, for the time being...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
He was robbed of his life by a policy that focuses on the public's right to be "safe" instead of on his right to defend himself and others.

No magazines/ammo in the weapon for guards was US policy for a while, but it was born of fear of lawyers and the absence of a real threat. Now that the threat is clear, we provide training to ensure that the loaded weapon is correctly used. Ironically, that training was what was really needed all along, in order to make the public safe.

Disarming guards/military simply makes them less safe...

Yeah, now we have dozens of highly paid DOD police that sit outside military installation gates now.
smile.gif

And MP's were always armed here, and performed normal police functions on federal land...

I agree. Just like with police officers carrying their service weapons off-duty, military should be able to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back