canadian tire oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
as many of our canadian residents know, CT stocks some in-house brand oil that is SL certified that goes by the names nugold, formula 1 and supreme. the only information i can come across was that shell does the formula 1 oil,

quote:

...the Canadian Tire products meet only the API specification but do not have the Shell special additives that make Shell product a better quality. The CTC Formula 1 will be comparable to our formula Shell line of products. ...

does anyone have any other information on their stuff?

Their oil has always been a mystery to me. For many years they were supplied by Imperial oil and I thought their synthetic was repackaged Mobil 1 (since Mobil 1 is distributed by Imperial Oil in Canada) But I later found out that the original CT synthetic was simply Esso Synthetic rebadged. As to the latest stuff, I haven't a clue what it is other than the fact that (as you mentioned) it's supplied by Shell.

I was told from a buddy that worked at can tire that they were all esso oils: esso extra, esso ultra, esso superflo. As far as I know the esso superflo appears to be a very good oil. The grades available for superflo are identical to those of the can tire synthetic: 5W-30, 10W-30, and 5W-50. Shell doesn't make a 5W-50 as far as I know, and I wouldn't think they'd make a grade of oil like that specifically for can tire. Can't confirm anything though.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

Shell doesn't make a 5W-50 as far as I know, and I wouldn't think they'd make a grade of oil like that specifically for can tire. Can't confirm anything though.

Don't oil company chemists have formulations on their shelves that the marketing folks decided not to put on the street?

I don't think it'd be a problem to get something blended for a satisfactory contract. I've had Chevron blend ten drum lots of a turbine oil that they no longer kept in inventory, and in another instance we had a Texaco contract and wanted a SAE 60 oil instead of the SAE 50 we were currently using. Texaco didn't want to blend it, the company I worked for said, "No problem, Exxon is glad to blend it for us." Texaco supplied the SAE 60. This was for a contract that consumed something over two tons of lube oil a day.

Ken

so it's possible that nugold is protec extra, supreme is protec ultra, and formula 1 synth is superflo and formula 1 regular is shell?

let's see what esso has to say
smile.gif

[ November 20, 2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Greg ]

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
so it's possible that nugold is protec extra, supreme is protec ultra, and formula 1 synth is superflo and formula 1 regular is shell?

smile.gif

So Greg, what they say ??
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

smile.gif

So Greg, what they say ??
smile.gif

i dunno, that was months ago.
smile.gif

I too think the oils are from Imperial oil. Mobil, although now with Exxon/Esso is not Canadian and that stuff is imported. But, Imperial oil was always Canadian and was bought out by Esso...so they carry both product lines.

If you look on the shelf you will see some Shell products right next to the Can. Tire line. Doesn't make sense to sell both. No Esso product though...that's why I think they're re-badged Esso stuff...

I,ve tried on many occasion to find the origin of their oil.

I've tried to get their Tech Data with no success, so they can go to **** with their no-name product.

I cannot find any good reason to trust them, a brand name oil cost only 3/4 dollars more , or $1.00 dollar a month !!!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I too think the oils are from Imperial oil.

They aren't. A guy in my car club works for Imperial Oil and he told me that they stopped supplying their oil to CT about 2-3 years ago and now it's Shell. Although it still puzzles me since their Formula 1 5w50 oil can't be a Shell product since Shell doesn't make a 5w50 that I'm aware of.

[ May 29, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back