Canadian Tire High Mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick, what are the viscosities of the 2 (Q.S. and the Can tire oil)? Both synth?

They are both 5W-30, but the cold flow characteristics of the QS is much better then the CT oil. I don't have actual specs on the two oils. But for what the ct %100 syn, if it is even 100% I wouldn't spend 20 dollars on that crap again. Next winter I will put Mobil 1 5W-30 to the test with a carquest filter for 10K and see what happens, of course at the 10K I will have an oil analysis done in Toronto as where patman has his done.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Rick, really? I thought there was another person on this board out in Sask. that was using the Can. Tire Synth. and said it performed better than Syntec in the cold. Which viscosity are you using?

I used the Castrol Syntec 5w-50 one year in winter and that stuff thickened up pretty good, you could hear the car labour upon start-up. Upon placing some in my freezer I could see that it thickened up pretty good at cold temps compared to other oils. So the Canadian Tire oil may have done better than some of the Syntec. The Canadian Tire oil is most likely group 3 stuff, so not as good as Mobil1 would be in cold weather, the QS probably is more of a true synthetic than the Canadian Tire stuff.

Who makes CT's synthetic gear oil?
offtopic.gif

When I went to CT this morning to buy the GTX High Mileage for my mom's car, I noticed they too now sell their own brand of high mileage oil, under the Supreme name. It's $2.99 per liter, and on the back it says it includes "friction modifiers which help prevent metal to metal contact" Sounds to me like it has moly in it!

Considering that I am running there CT 100% synthetic and I doesn't do well in the cold, even here in Ottawa. So I'm staying away from CT oil.
I think it's crap. I'm going to stay with Mobil 1 in the winter with the Carquest filter for 10K changes and in the summer 5K changes with Castrol GTX and acdelco filter.

Rick, really? I thought there was another person on this board out in Sask. that was using the Can. Tire Synth. and said it performed better than Syntec in the cold. Which viscosity are you using?

Yes I remember someone saying that to.
But the funny thing is that I have a but on ct synthetic in a container and Quaker state in another and with Our temp down to -25 the CT follows like conventional oil when the QS flows nicely, Go figure.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
offtopic.gif

Most likely it's Shell. They make all of their motor oils now (it used to be Imperial Oil until about 2-3 years ago)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

offtopic.gif

Most likely it's Shell. They make all of their motor oils now (it used to be Imperial Oil until about 2-3 years ago)

Thanks Patman..I just did an axle change on a customers car and noticed the color of the lube to be an orange color...strange..I usually use Castrol syn 75W-90 but I was there so I bought the CT stuff.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

offtopic.gif

Thanks Patman..I just did an axle change on a customers car and noticed the color of the lube to be an orange color...strange..I usually use Castrol syn 75W-90 but I was there so I bought the CT stuff.I looking into buying a case of the Pennzoil 75W-140 syn. at a good price from my NAPA supplier.He quoted me $16 a litre which is great compared to $26 a litre from the Mopar dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back