Canadian Tire Formula 1 .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a bad deal, and Motomaster Formula 1 100% synthetic is what is in my car right now.

BUT in reality a much better deal is Esso XD-3 Extra (which is a PAO synthetic vs. Motomaster Formula 1 100% synthetic, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Group III synthetic).

Especially since when you factor in the taxes, Esso XD-3 Extra is in fact 20¢ cheaper than Motomaster Formula 1 100% synthetic. The Esso XD-3 Extra that I ordered worked out to $3.82 per 1 litre bottle, but you do have to order a case of 12.

The only problem for me is that the warehouse here in Toronto is only open until 3 pm, so I haven't been able to get there early enough to get it yet. Esso does have distributors all across Ontario, so as long as you can get to one before they close its not too bad.

Not that I know of, but to be honest I haven't checked and have no way of checking.

That being said, at today's exchange rate ( C$1.00 = US$0.871 ) a case of 12 1 litre bottles would be about C$53.00 so that is US$46.16.

If you are in Upstate New York (or any other border state), and its a short drive, I'm reasonably sure that anything under US$50 fits into the amount you are able to bring back home to the USA duty free. I should point out, that I am just guessing so it could in fact be over US$50 (or even under), so check first.

EDIT: I just checked and it turns out for Canadians coming back from the USA, if we have stayed less then 24 hours we can't bring back anything duty free. I have no idea what the rules would be for Americans coming back home from Canada, so you will have to check with your Customs office.

I wonder why the Formula 1 are in U.S. quarts ??
dunno.gif

P.B.

The most likely answer (although I have not looked at a bottle recently) is that they are produced in bulk some place for both the Canadian and American markets, and when they get to Canada they simply apply labels that meet the local laws (mainly being in French and English).

Nickdfresh. If your in Western New York near
the border, you can buy Esso XD-3 in
St. Catharines at Tomlynn Fuels. They are
located on 138 Cushman Road. Their number
is (905)684-3511 or 1-800-263-6156.

quote:

I wonder why the Formula 1 are in U.S. quarts ?? [I dont know]
P.B.

They aren't. The label says 946ml, which also happens to be one U.S Quart. This stuff comes from Shell Canada. Couldn't say whether this particular product is packaged by Shell in the U.S and sent here (Canada), or whether Shell Canada packages it here in just one size (U.S. quart) and then sells it on both sides of the border.

I've got my first run of this stuff(5W-30) in my 2.7L Intrepid right now. I'm thinking of doing a UOA on it at 5000 or 6000 KM.

While Esso XD-3 is a far better deal in terms of bang for the buck, it isn't as conveniently available as the Canadian Tire stuff. The Canadian Tire Formula 1 Full Synthetic goes on sale every 6-8 weeks.

If it weren't for the heavier viscosity of the XD-3 (5w-30), I'd be running it all year round.

Phil

quote:

Originally posted by Vasili:

EDIT: I just checked and it turns out for Canadians coming back from the USA, if we have stayed less then 24 hours we can't bring back anything duty free. I have no idea what the rules would be for Americans coming back home from Canada, so you will have to check with your Customs office.

Thanks for the info. The rules may have changed a little on this side of the border as well. I know I almost got pulled over for buying liquor and bringing it back a few hours later (so cheap at the Duty Free), but that may extend to other products now (which is silly really, although they may consider Esso 0W-30 syn to be top shelf liquor as well...)

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Nickdfresh. If your in Western New York near
the border, you can buy Esso XD-3 in
St. Catharines at Tomlynn Fuels. They are
located on 138 Cushman Road. Their number
is (905)684-3511 or 1-800-263-6156.

Thanks man, I just might...

quote:

Originally posted by va3ux:
While Esso XD-3 is a far better deal in terms of bang for the buck, it isn't as conveniently available as the Canadian Tire stuff.
I buy Esso XD-3 in 4 litre jugs available at any WalMart in the Toronto area.

I did try to buy a case from a bulk dealer in the west end but they wanted me to open an account, order in advance by telephone, pick up during extremely restricted hours, they did not have any when I was there etc. They were just not set up to do retail business with civilians. Fine by me, but the hassle is not worth it to save about 60 cents a litre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back