Canadian police paid several thousand more for CV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Ford gouge Canadian police forces for the Crown Vic?

Ford slashes Crown Vic cruiser prices

FORD OF CANADA: Story detailed $7,500-plus price differential between police cars sold to Ontario, U.S. forces
By JONATHAN SHER, THE LONDON FREE PRESS

Weeks after The Free Press showed how Ford Canada padded profits on cruisers charged to Ontario police, the car maker has slashed its price, a difference that will save London taxpayers alone $160,000.

Ford Canada has long charged police in Ontario far more for Crown Victoria police cruisers than what American police pay, even though the vehicle is made near St. Thomas and is closer to domestic markets than to most U.S. customers.

The difference: Ford was selling its basic cruiser here for $31,167 while selling one loaded with all sorts of extras in Texas for the equivalent of $23,720 Cdn.

Then, after a Free Press story outlined the disparity, Ford Canada suddenly -- for the first time in decades, perhaps ever -- offered a $4,999 discount.

A Ford spokesperson wouldn't explain Friday why the company dropped the price, writing only, "Ford of Canada works to be competitive in the Canadian market."

But some London politicians have little doubt the newspaper story pressured the auto maker into doing the right thing.

"It probably put some heat on them. It would have definitely had an effect," Controller Bud Polhill said.

With London police set to order 32 cruisers this year, the discount will save the force about $160,000, Deputy Chief Ian Peer said. That savings might be used to buy four extra cruisers at discount rates this year so next year's order can be scaled back, he said.

But many other forces will not save because they ordered Crown Vics before Ford introduced the discount.

Each year police in Ontario buy about 900 Crown Victoria cruisers, said Scott Lindsay, director of material management with Peel Police and point- person for a consortium that tenders contracts for cruisers on behalf of all police in Ontario.

That means an $8,000-per-car markup would cost police in the province more than $7 million a year, money that otherwise could be used to hire dozens of police or to reduce costs and the burden on taxpayers.

"In the 20 years I've been doing this, the prices have always been tremendously better (in the United States)," Lindsay said.

During a decade, Ontario police may have paid tens of millions of dollars beyond what the vehicle sold in the U.S.

"That's a lot of money," Lindsay said.

Ford's discount was a first in Lindsay's experience.

He doesn't know if the Free Press article sparked the change -- but if it did, that's a good thing.

"I hope (the article) did put pressure on Ford Canada," he said.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/03/29/13390936.html

Whatever Ontarian purchasing agent who solicits bids did a poor job. Or there was an exploit in the procedure that, well, got exploited. Maybe they spec'd the cheapest car with a 4.5-4.7 liter V8.

Ford's fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders was properly upheld.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe they got a quantity discount in Texas. There are probably more police vehicles in Dallas County than all of Canada.

That reminds me of one of our Canadian "Heritage Moments" commercials. Where an RCMP officer, discussing the fate of Sitting Bull tells the American that he has more men over there than he has in the whole of western Canada. LOL!

From my experience everything is (OR WAS) more expensive in Canada compared to the US. I would imagine that universal health care had something to do with it. What did a Canadian civilian pay for a new CV compared to a Texan?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would imagine that universal health care had something to do with it.

If the gov't has to pay taxes on new CVs it'd just be paying them to themselves.

Take the imagination out of politics and you're reduced to finding the facts on your own, without talk radio to guide you.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Whatever Ontarian purchasing agent who solicits bids did a poor job. Or there was an exploit in the procedure that, well, got exploited. Maybe they spec'd the cheapest car with a 4.5-4.7 liter V8.

Ford's fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders was properly upheld.

Agreed. They go this long without making a stink and one newspaper article summons a $5k discount? Somebody in purchasing was just saying "Oh well... not my money
21.gif
". And Ford said "Thank you for your business".

Am I the only one who opened this thread thinking they were paying thousands for CV joints?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe they got a quantity discount in Texas. There are probably more police vehicles in Dallas County than all of Canada.

I know what my municipality pays and we dont have anywhere near the magnitude as Ontario.

If the gov't has to pay taxes on new CVs it'd just be paying them to themselves.

Take the imagination out of politics and you're reduced to finding the facts on your own, without talk radio to guide you.

If it wasn't for 'talk radio' all of the 'facts' would come from the mainstream media who have identified themselves as being 87% from one political party.
PS: If you don't think UHC is gonna cost us more I have a bridge to sell....

If it wasn't for 'talk radio' all of the 'facts' would come from the mainstream media who have identified themselves as being 87% from one political party.
PS: If you don't think UHC is gonna cost us more I have a bridge to sell....

smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back