Canadian Government to offer $10K back on EV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm sitting here on BITOG browsing the threads and on the news I just heard that the Canadian Government will be offering a $10K rebate on Electric Vehicles such as GM's VOLT to help encourage people to make the step away from oil driven engines to new greener technologies.

There goal is to have 1 in 20 cars on Canadian roads to be Electric by the year 2020!

Wow!
shocked2.gif

StevieC,
Where will the electricity come from? It will take many new power plants to do that.

I didn't say it was the right technology, I said the incentive is great to get people to switch technologies.

We have lots of Nuclear up here, versus the ton of coal-plants you have.
21.gif

Plus, most of the charging for most vehicles will be done at night when most plants are idling anyways, and in use during the day when energy is at peak demand so it I would think it's not all that big of a problem.

I would have to do some research and not listen to the CNN style media which seems to be bought by big corporations like oils companies trying to push their agendas in the name of profitability.
whistle.gif

StevieC,
I can see it now. Time, 2030. Here at Bob Is The Volt Guy we will be talking about M1 Volts,PP Amps, Castrol cycles, and Amsoil 3 phase. What a future, huh?

Originally Posted By: tig1
StevieC,
I can see it now. Time, 2030. Here at Bob Is The Volt Guy we will be talking about M1 Volts,PP Amps, Castrol cycles, and Amsoil 3 phase. What a future, huh?

No it won't be about what oil, it will be about what Electrolyte to use in the batteries or what is the best home charger.

I wonder if Frank will come out with ARX for Batteries?

Will Toyota have Battery sludge problems?

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
No doubt there will be M1 volt bashing for good sport.
Yeah and the batteries will have higher than normal IRON in the electrolyte analysis and will not be used by many because of it.
grin2.gif

This board can be silly at times...
smirk2.gif

Glad I could make you laugh...
grin2.gif

Some members of the board and other people I meet in daily life are so serious about everything and sweat the small stuff all the time.

I keep waiting for them to have a nervous breakdown because they are so "intense" about stuff that doesn't really make a huge difference in the grand-scheme of things.

As a hobby to discuss oil/maintenance etc. fine, but some of these people I meet are a few screws short.

Tunnel vision I guess, and not the "whole picture" vision we should all have.

You can tell who they are because they will be the ones arguing with this post, hahaha
grin2.gif

I guess that is what the makes the world a unique and interesting place!
wink.gif

This rebate will make the $40k Volt mid-size sedan closer to a $30k mid-size sedan. When a Malibu sedan or Camry sedan can be had for around $22 - $24k, you can guarantee I won't be falling for this cr*p.

Amazing what they think we will fall for!!!

Except unlike a Prius, a Volt...assuming the driver charges it everyday, will return fuel economy orders of magnitude above any car you can buy right now. If your 90% of the population, you won't even have to fill the tank, the batteries will provide all the power you need.
And unlike a true electric car, this thing can take you on a 600+ mile road trip using the gas engine as a generator.

The Malibu and The Camry have nothing on the Volt. I will admit that its MSRP of 40k is a bit much, but with a US tax incentive of upwards of 10k likely, this car could make economic sense depending on how you use it.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Except unlike a Prius, a Volt...assuming the driver charges it everyday, will return fuel economy orders of magnitude above any car you can buy right now. If your 90% of the population, you won't even have to fill the tank, the batteries will provide all the power you need.

And everyone's electricity prices will rise to feed your car.

Those who get in early will be those at the top of the pyramid, and get subsidised by others for longer.

And the power stations will be pumping out even more CO2.

If Canada, with all the nukes and hydro was serious about CO2, they would stop boiling tarry sands and selling it abroad.

Its true, the energy has to come from somewhere. However, large scale power plants are typically much more effiecient then car engines. Also, depending on your local, power sources can be solar, wind, Nuke, etc....its not all coming from smokey brown stuff.
Additionally, pollution from centralized power plants can be more easily controlled, and at the very least localized.

And even if your power bill does rise, it will still be cheaper to power your car...and in the end, save you money. That is, assuming you own an electric car.
BTW, my local power grid punishes me if I use more power, not my neighbors. My rates rise based on my power usage, and my purchase of an electric car would not impact the bills of others. Also, its extremely unlikely that the power grid would suffer from electric vehicles, as the adoption rate of such cars would be rather slow...providing plenty of time for the power grid to expand to meet such demands.

All that said, I live in an apartment...so I can't own an electric car.

Last edited:
The rebate is only in Ontario, not all of Canada. I'm not really sure what to make of it though. If the Volt or other highway capable electric cars were made in Ontario I'd support it. We have our own former and potential uranium mine sites and the plans already to add more reactors to our existing plants so it has the potential to create alot of jobs and set Ontario up with greenhouse gas credits to spare. Sounds like a good plan if you really think about it.
I have to say our premier does look a bit beyond the next election date and is thinking big picture so I'll give him credit for that atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back