Can your car last 1,000,000 miles..

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of mileage does the average motorist put on in a year? 20 to 25 thousand miles?

At that rate the car will be 40 years old before it has a million miles.

As a trucker I used to put on ~100,000 in a year, so reaching a million miles was doable in 10 years.

cool article

I can't see mine ever making it, as its going to have trouble hitting 100,000...even with a great maintenance record.

I'm aiming for 500K. Good enough for me...
grin2.gif

I put just 12K approx on my daily driver in a year. So it would take me something like 84 years to put a Million miles on a vehicle.
shocked2.gif
Most mileage I ever put on a vehicle was a little over 56K in 42 months = approx 16K a year. That would only take me 62.5 years to reach a Million miles.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
At my pace, my 96 sunfire will get 200k in 2015.
I'm averaging 5k/miles a year. 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home, 5 days a week. 100 miles/week x 11 months a year =4400 miles
(I get a month of vacation a year) Weekends I drive the vibe.

I trade them in at 150k...which by then the engine runs like new with 5k synthetic OCI's but the rest of the car from 3 female drivers and 1 extra female occupant is usually destroyed.

I wish my van could go for another 100,000 miles (160,000 km)! I think the engine & tranny can outlast the body. The van is nearly 12 years old, and it's barely over 108,000 miles (172,000 km)

If I were a bettin man, I would lay my money on an import going that distance then any Gm, Ford or Dodge

You're kidding right? Today's Hyundais will easily reach 500k. The build quality is on par with Toyota and Honda. So, no luck is needed, just regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm aiming for 500K. Good enough for me...
grin2.gif

500k in a Hyundai???.....good luck.

I would be happy with my car getting getting 200,000 miles or 300,000 km (reliably) . after that I would like a new car thanks! there is nothing wrong with replacing after 200k.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I would be happy with my car getting getting 200,000 miles or 300,000 km (reliably) . after that I would like a new car thanks! there is nothing wrong with replacing after 200k.

With my current habits that would take me to 2021 (4th quarter). Having finsihed my financing in 1.5 years on a 2nd hand car, that is GREAT value.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
If I were a bettin man, I would lay my money on an import going that distance then any Gm, Ford or Dodge

I can probably hop on the autotrader right now and find you a Crown Vic with 700,000+ on it (Km).

There's some guy over at saturnfans.com with over 545,000 miles on his 199x? SL2 w/ original engine & transmission.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy

The Ford will do it. I can't speak personally for the others. C3PO has a SB Chevy with close to 370,000 miles on it, still going strong. Don't sell the US cars short, especially the Fords.

Any modern car, import or domestic could do it with proper care and maintenance.

I couldn't drive a car that long, I get bored quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back