can you use ramps this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, today I received my replacement ramps from Blitz (what a great company). And after my incident with my old pair I didn't want to drive up on these and break them. So I was thinking of taking my dad's trolley jack and placing it under the central jacking point of my Civic and jack it up then put the ramps under the wheels. So I was wondering if anyone ever tried this and was it successful? Was it hard to do? How high did you have to raise the car? Thanks in advance.

That would be a pain in the butt since the front struts would expand lowering the wheels as the rest of the car was lifted. So you'd have to jack it way up then it would settle back on the wheels on the ramps. I've lifted cars WAAAY high for front end work and the wheels have only lifted a couple inches off the asphalt.

No offense, and no disrespect intended: I am concerned for your safety, but if you're not coordinated enough to drive onto your ramps maybe you shouldn't go under your car.

What's the point, why not just use jack stands? Ramps are made for driving up.

The simple answer is 'no,' for the reasons eljefino stated.
I am also becoming more concerned about your abilities with regard to your own safety, regardless of what equipment is used. The way your questions are formulated (and your recent mishap) suggests no practical experience and also no respect for what kind of energy is stored and can be released by maneuvering a car around. In particular, asking for advice on how to use a product in a manner for which it was not designed on an internet forum just shouts irresponsibility. This is not meant to be offensive in tone, just cautionary.

Get a tape measure.

Place the wheel chock(s) so the car can't shoot off the end of the ramps. (as was suggested)

Use as designed.

To my esteemed fellow members:

Most everything that we do falls under "acquired skills". To acquire them, experience is an integral part of the operation. This is a challenge to be mastered ...not an obstacle to be avoided. It takes some longer to acquire these skills than others.

..or has everyone here magically never failed in any such learning curve?? Just curious.
smile.gif

One thing I always do is roll down the driver's window and stick my head out so I can see the wheels as they roll up the ramp. I also always have one foot on the brake, although that might be difficult on a stick shift. One hand on the parking brake might not be a bad idea, though.

Somehow if you can get a oil drain valve installed and are able to reach the drain valve and filter from the side without crawling under, it might avoid using ramps.

I used ramps one time and it was difficult. I am glad I don't need them. Gave them away in fact.

My car has a 5 speed, so I gave up ramps in favor of jackstands.

No matter how well you do getting your car up on the ramps, even if its done perfectly, jackstands are still easier on the clutch!

Line up the ramps. Back up about 1 foot. Roll toward ramp (slowly!) letting inertia take you up the incline. Starting at the bottom of the ramp will cause slipping make you over-run.

This method works fine for my lightweight, 1600lb 5spds, up to the wife's 4800lb minivan.

Using ramps causes less clutch wear than driving five miles to the quickie lube for an oil change, I tell myself. Less gas, too, if I buy my oil and filters when I'm shopping for other stuff.

As many millions of times I've used ramps I still get somebody outside while I'm driving up to monitor what I'm doing. I just like having that extra set of eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back