Can you use a large plastic bag to cover a car?

My cars been sitting in the garage since coivd. The last time I drove it was Jan 4th. I have some large clear plastic bags that body shops use to cover other cars in the shop while they're sanding another car to protect it from dust. Can I use that plastic bag to cover my car? I try to keep my car looking as new as possible so I don't want to put a plastic bag on it and when it comes time to drive it I lift the plastic bag off and BOOM see hella scratches. The car was washed last week. So, all I have to do is use some detail spray and wipe the light dust off and put the plastic bag over it. IF it won't cause any scratches. I don't want to buy a car cover because I've heard mixed reviews on them.

Seems like you answered your own question.

The plastic coverings are used by body shops for the exact purpose you described.

However, I don't see anything wrong with leaving the car uncovered. When it is time to drive, just rewash?

You can get a cheap, thin car cover at O-Reilly that would be a much better option. My Mustang sits around a lot and I finally covered it when I got sick of rinsing the dust off. Get someone to help you put it on / take it off so you don't have to drag the fabric across the car when removing. When you're ready to re-install, have your helper shake it out, and put it back on. A coat of wax / sealer will help resist abrasion.

I don't keep any cars that I value outside and feel no need to cover them inside. I'll generally use a blower and then the hose to get them cleaned off after sitting for an extended time. Covers in an outdoor situation can be tricky so as to not cause problems.

I don't keep any cars that I value outside and feel no need to cover them inside. I'll generally use a blower and then the hose to get them cleaned off after sitting for an extended time. Covers in an outdoor situation can be tricky so as to not cause problem
I don't keep any cars that I value outside and feel no need to cover them inside. I'll generally use a blower and then the hose to get them cleaned off after sitting for an extended time. Covers in an outdoor situation can be tricky so as to not cause problems.
Yup. my cars inside. I'll probably not cover it and just hose/wipe the dust off once in a while.

On all my toys I've always used white sheets laid over the car. Used in unheated garage never had a problem. Plain white cotton sheets.

Back