Can you turn off the fake sound in newer hybrids and EV's?

Neighbor has a new Accord hybrid that makes an artificial sound like a train locomotive horn at low volume. I can hear him when he's leaving and a half block away when he's coming home, so I can imagine what it must sound like sitting in the car. Is there a setting to turn that off? I know some people here hate the auto stop/start function on newer cars and they often have a button to disable it. Is there the same option for this sound that would drive me crazy after a while? I've had many older hybrids without this nonsense and the silence at a stoplight is great.

I love my OHSA beeper in reverse. Gets lots of looks. The Maverick Hybrid makes a Jetson's flying car sound below 25 mph in drive. 🛸 It's the law. Disconecting it and backing over someone could have serious legal consequences. If someone dies it could be real SERIOUS.

Neighbor has a new Accord hybrid that makes an artificial sound like a train locomotive horn at low volume. I can hear him when he's leaving and a half block away when he's coming home, so I can imagine what it must sound like sitting in the car. Is there a setting to turn that off? I know some people here hate the auto stop/start function on newer cars and they often have a button to disable it. Is there the same option for this sound that would drive me crazy after a while? I've had many older hybrids without this nonsense and the silence at a stoplight is great.
That's the point of the sound generator, it's so you hear his car coming and doesn't run you over

That's the point of the sound generator, it's so you hear his car coming and doesn't run you over
Huh? Has it come to this? Are people walking in the road so distracted by what they are doing, having their head buried in their phone or something, that they can't notice anything around them? And are drivers so distracted they can't avoid running over people?

Huh? Has it come to this? Are people walking in the road so distracted by what they are doing, having their head buried in their phone or something, that they can't notice anything around them? And are drivers so distracted they can't avoid running over people?
Yes, Volkswagen did a commercial about it.

Don’t forget children playing in the streets…. The ones that don’t have a tablet to play with

It’s not that. Many ICE powered cars are very quiet. Electric and hybrids are even more so. Add in background noise and it’s very easy to have a car approach without any sound.

Plus, not everyone has perfect hearing.

It’s called “legislation to protect other people’s lack of responsibility. And their personal stupidity.”

Back