Can you refuse a recall?

A safety item and doesn't want it performed. That's quite frankly unbelievable.....
Good chance the Ford tech monkeys would mess up something. Chances of blown engine and fire mentioned in the recall are near ziltch.

I only let Ford techs put a inspection sticker and (gasp!) rotate my tires in the 2 years I owned the vehicle.
Whice reminds me I wish to change the rear diff fluid, now that I have eclipsed 10K on the beast.

Ahhhh, well, I can understand that part, that they have to confirm it occurs 'cause it doesn't always. What if you took the tech and kidnapped him/her ! When he/she said they don't smell anything, keep driving.... until they agree, "yeah, okay, I smell it now" !! 😂
I could eat three bean burritos for lunch and then go for a test drive with the ventilation recirc button on :)

Good chance the Ford tech monkeys would mess up something. Chances of blown engine and fire mentioned in the recall are near ziltch.

I only let Ford techs put a inspection sticker and (gasp!) rotate my tires in the 2 years I owned the vehicle.
Whice reminds me I wish to change the rear diff fluid, now that I have eclipsed 10K on the beast.
I just took my F150 truck in for two recalls and one repair ( under warranty). While the repairs could have been performed on a more timely basis they didn't screw anything up. But yea we have a lot on people who like to be in control here.....

I've gotten recalls done just so I don't have annoying postcards showing up in the mail anymore. My Ranger was involved in the Takata airbag recall and it took no less than 4 trips to the dealer before it was finally taken care of.
1st time: after getting postcards for about a year but no parts available, my dealer said they had parts to do the passenger side, but not the driver side. Fine, I'll at least get the passenger side done.

2nd time: parts for the driver's side are available. I get the driver's side done. When I picked the truck up, I look over the paperwork and noticed it said something about a temporary repair. I did some research and found out that the recall I just had done was in fact, a temporary repair. Apparently Ford replaced the airbags with the same defective airbags as a temporary measure until they could get the revised, non-defective ones. The logic being that the airbags were more likely to explode violently as they aged. So brand new defective airbags were safer than old defective airbags.

3rd time: A new recall was issued for the "permanent" fix: New, non-defective airbags. I got both airbags replaced again.

4th time: Yet ANOTHER recall was issued that basically said, "We know you already got the airbags replaced, and there's nothing wrong with those airbags. But, IF you have gotten into an accident since then, and you had the airbags replaced again, there's a chance that THOSE replacement airbags might be defective." I hadn't gotten into any accidents, and I still had the good airbags the dealer installed. But, those postcards were getting annoying and I didn't like having an "open recall" on my truck, so I talked to my dealer about "removing" the recall. They said the only thing I could do was set up an appointment so they could verify the serial numbers themselves, and they would complete the recall. So I did. That was the end of my airbag recall saga.

I've also gotten recall notices for a Honda CR-V that I no longer own (totaled in an accident). The recall notice included a card I could fill out and send back to Honda, notifying them that I no longer owned the car. I filled it out and mailed it. A few months later I get another recall notice, even though I already notified them that I no longer own the car. I filled out the card again and mailed it. I haven't gotten any more recall notices since.

I could eat three bean burritos for lunch and then go for a test drive with the ventilation recirc button on :)
Your comment makes me think of this thread:

My old 2017 Chevy Spark had this recall for it.

“General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2016-2017 Chevrolet Spark vehicles. In the event of a crash, if a young child is seated improperly and not wearing a seat belt while in the front passenger seat, deployment of the front passenger air bag may injure the occupant's neck. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, "Occupant Crash Protection."

I don’t have kids and even if I did, they wouldn’t be sitting in the front seat without a seatbelt. Then I saw a pic what they have to remove to get to the air bag module, I never got the recall done and traded it in a years later.

17DA78EF-4BE7-4BDC-BA5E-FBD0DD0F9C37.jpeg

My 1988 Camaro has this recall,
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN​

Dec 27,1990
Manufacturer Recall NumberN900043
NHTSA Recall Number90V105000
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryGeneral Motors of Canada has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1984-90 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles. Some seat belt buckle assemblies in affected vehicles may not latch, or may not release, due to fracture of the red push button which can occur during seat belt connection or disconnection.

Safety RiskThese buckle malfunctions would prevent a person from using their seat belt system and the risk of injury to an unbelted person in an accident would be increased.

RemedyTo correct this condition, all involved vehicles will have the pushbutton assemblies replaced and have a protector shield added (except for certain 1989 and all 1990 vehicles which have revised lower cover ramps and as a result do not need protectors). Also, any buckle assemblies which are found not to function correctly, or which have fractured pushbuttons, will be replaced.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not too comfortable just handing over the key to the dealer service department on a car with this under the hood,

View attachment 139026
Sounds like the same Takata release buckle UV failure that plagued the Japanese manufacturers in the early 90s

If none of the release buckles have shattered yet, you could theoretically order GM # 14097930, and replace them all yourself
Or you could chat with your local Chevy dealer, I would think they'd find your car interesting and worth special attention 🤷‍♂️

Safety issues (like drunk drivers and motorcycles) really hit a nerve with me, and I have little patience for excuses
But then I've cough borrowed 👀 a few close friends and families cars to take them in for lifetime seatbelt buckles (Honda/Nissan) and Takata inflator replacements

Sometimes they were quite angry at me, right up until one lost control into a guardrail, and a drunk on ice sent the other head on into a tree

They take recall notices much more seriously now 😔

Last edited:
i dodged the air bag recall on my 03 tundra for over 10 years . finally they sent someone to my house. it was my biz truck and i needed it every day tto pull my lawn service trailer. they got it done in 1/2 day

Back