Can you really test oil like this?

Ummm, is this similar to an Amsoil 4 ball wear scar test? I didn't find any test data specifics, such as numbers, temperature, hardness of material used, etc. Using an old "dial-a-guess" calipers for measurement, is anybody's guess as to what the actual wear scar size was. I wouldn't use this test to judge quality of motor oil at all.

MolaKule

Staff member
It's a Timken type machine that tests the Extreme Pressure properties of lubricants. Sometimes called the Pin and Ring test. A lever arm with a calibrated weight forces the pin (a roller bearing) onto a spinning ring, usually a bearing race. The less wear on the pin the better the fluid. Not much info other than the machine pictures and oil cans. I would like to know what criteria the oils were judged?

asenna

So is there anything misleading about the Timken test? BobTheOilGod says it was used by snake oil salesmen and I have seen it used to sell friction reducing additives.

quote:
BobTheOilGod says it was used by snake oil salesmen and I have seen it used to sell friction reducing additives.
They use that same test on the Duralube/Prolong (can't remember which one) infomercial...... Snake Oil.....that might be better in your engine! [LOL!]