Can you mix Zerex Asian red with blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 3 gallons of Zerex asian vehicle blue for my wife's 2005 accord to do a complete drain, flush with distilled water and fill with the blue. I ordered through Walmart.com, but it was a third party supplier. Zoro. I ordered three of the same thing, but they sent me two blue and one red.

I don't see any difference between these two aside from the color. Aside from having purple coolant, is there any issue in mixing?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have been told by Valvoline via e-mail that these two formulas are identical and only the color is different. They sell the two colors only to assist customers with keeping with the familiar original coolant color.

Personally I'd try to swap the one oddball jug out at a local WalMart just to maintain standardization.

you may think you'd get purple but it might turn black instead. How would you feel about seeing black radiator fluid in your car. Even though I know why the color was what it was, It would still give me the willies.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FowVay
I have been told by Valvoline via e-mail that these two formulas are identical and only the color is different. They sell the two colors only to assist customers with keeping with the familiar original coolant color.

Personally I'd try to swap the one oddball jug out at a local WalMart just to maintain standardization.

I agree with this advice....Walmart should have no issue exchanging the red one for another blue one...
Having said that....I also agree that they are probably identical except for color....just like OEM brand (P-HOAT) coolants.

I have been told by Valvoline via e-mail that these two formulas are identical and only the color is different. They sell the two colors only to assist customers with keeping with the familiar original coolant color..
And that confirms the best available information that has been previously posted this sub-forum. Same Asian Phoat AF, just using tint to match the oem AF.

While I would very much prefer the using the same tint, other than some odd color AF, mixing wouldn't cause any issue.

Hmm, I think the product at Walmart has slightly different labeling. So, I wouldn't be so sure that is possible.
Might check if the barcode matches before you try to return it to a dumbfounded customer service person.

Try mixing a little in a cup. I mixed some green and pink the other day and the green color totally overpowered the pink and it basically just looked green after mixing.

LOL, Valvoline says their Maxlife ATF works in "all" transmissions so I would naturally assume they could formulate a Coolant that works in "all" vehicles.

Ok, Ok, I'm being a smarty pants.....

happy2.gif

Their website has no info on the Red, only the Blue and it is an approved formula for only Hyundai/Kia MS 591-08

I wouldn't mix the red and blue or even use in a Honda I planed on keeping for 300K...

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
You'll be fine, I've used both in Honda/Toyota applications with zero repercussions.

Thanks

I would have swapped out locally if they had any in stock at the Wal-marts within 50 miles.

Yep, you'll be fine. I changed out a heater hose in my Accord and topped off with the blue stuff. The stuff in there was the older Zerex Asian pink.

I have seen 3 different jugs at Wal-Mart recently:

TOYOTA - LEXUS - SCION (red)

HONDA - ACURA - NISSIAN - HYUNDAI - KIA (blue)

TOYOTA - HONDA - NISSIAN - HYUNDAI - KIA (red)

This would lead me to believe they are the same formulas.

Just a dye. As long as it meets the spec and is the same fluid. Some of us are OCD so that would be a no no....Go forth and mix!

+1 ... Guy at the Valvoline Tech Support told me the same thing on the phone.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
I have seen 3 different jugs at Wal-Mart recently:

TOYOTA - LEXUS - SCION (red)

HONDA - ACURA - NISSIAN - HYUNDAI - KIA (blue)

TOYOTA - HONDA - NISSIAN - HYUNDAI - KIA (red)

This would lead me to believe they are the same formulas.

In the Toyota brand coolants, the RED and PINK are two different formulations.

...In the Toyota brand coolants, the RED and PINK are two different formulations....
True, though Toyota says the pink SLL is completely backward compatible, mixable. The older red Toyota LL AF has short service interval, 2years/~30k miles. SLL pink premix the newer long service interval Asian PHoat, ~5/50k miles, subsequent to factory cooling system service.

Using the Toyota notation on LL/SLL compatibility, Zerex/Valvoline makes not distinction and the "red" is synonymous with SLL pink premix.

As an aside some comments on topic like this an interesting read. Clearly some don't understand that an Asian Phoat like topic AFs while a different tint would have all same the attributes of that AF type, ie., specifically in this case, no silicates, borates, nitrites, amines and no 2eha. The Zerex site PI lists all that information.

Since off topic MaxLife ATF mentioned, it's similar to those that either can't comprehend or don't accept the science of greater shear stability of synthetic ATF versus mineral based ATF. Otoh, there's still flat earthers out too, and they have thier point. Mostly though, it's at the end of their nose.

The donkeys aren't selling the Asian Zerex at the local Walmarts right now. My god daughter needed some and they have Prestone Asian, which I didn't even know existed, in what I'd call an older version (i.e. like what my G37 would take) and a newer version (what the G37 the year newer than mine would take).

I don't know about in Canada however here the Prestone "Asian" for Toyota(red) and for Honda(blue) AF sold at WM uses 2eha found in DexCool as an inhibitor. It's been discussed here before. While it may be fine, I'm not a fan. I've stated that 'imo' it's Asian branding name is misleading to the point of false advertising. It's also more expensive at WM than the topic AF, comes in half gallon jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back