Can you imagine buying a 2007 BMW 335i with a 6 speed manual trans with only 3,400 original miles?

Soon as you start driving it you will be chasing all kinds of leaks from dried and shrunken gaskets and seals. Motor oil, transmission oil, PS fluid, coolant, freon, etc. Expect throwing another $5,000+ at it the first year just for that.
Sorry to say, but I think this is correct.

I covered the international and US launches for the E93 in 2007. At that time you were offered a "drive away"- a car you could drive home and keep for @10 days after which a transport company would come and pick it up. I was provided a Space Gray/Coral Red 335i to drive home from Miami. Funny thing; after 10 days I hadn't heard from the transport company, so I called the BMW Press Fleet office. They had forgotten I had a car, and by the time they scheduled a pick-up I had driven the car for almost a month.
IMG_0323.JPG

That's an exceptional car, one I'd take any day over the typical used example owned and (not) cared for by the average owner. The Coral Red interiors first appeared on the E46.

Even after factoring in the cost of any precautionary fluid changes, possible remedial work, and new tires, one would still have a car that is still in the break-in period.

If it was put on the general market, and subject to all the tired tropes about BMWs, it might have been had for an even better price.

I'd use one of the wishes any genie grants me for an E30/36/46 barn find in similar nick.

These were great cars. I can't imagine the boffins at BMW could even build them today.
I think that the 2 Series coupes are about as close as you can get.
I’ve sometimes referred to my Club Sport as “The Last 2002”, since it’s small, relatively light, and has a four cylinder engine, manual transmission, and a semi-trailing arm rear suspension.

Last edited:
What? Dead synchros are usually from poor maintenance, skill or people using too thin of gear oil. The trans on my 1998 is about the only thing that hasn’t broken over the years.
Every stick 6 cyl coupe and and roadster I drove off lease was this way - along with a Honda S2000.

But that was only a sample of 3 vehicles. The M was WORLDS apart in shift quality and solidity,
Glad you trans is holding up, though, We all could use a bit of luck !

I would buy it. Remedial work: OFHG, coolant hoses, coolant reservoir, maybe radiator, all fluids. Everything else is as needed.
One thing on such vehicle with extremely low mileage is that piezo injectors will have to be upgraded to update 12.

Every stick 6 cyl coupe and and roadster I drove off lease was this way - along with a Honda S2000.

But that was only a sample of 3 vehicles. The M was WORLDS apart in shift quality and solidity,
Glad you trans is holding up, though, We all could use a bit of luck !
Wow that’s some bad luck. My S2000 just passed 190k miles with original trans, shifting fine too.

Back