Make?
Model?
Year?
Location?

And what makes it so unique?

-

-

-

The location has the look of a southern California low tide, perhaps a place like Zuma Beach, although I can think of a couple of places on the Atlantic coast that the picture might fit.

As for the car, I have no idea. Very curious, though.

Make: Chrysler
Model: Whatever they called the turbine car
Year: With a 4-light front end and fins it should be a '58 or later. I'll say '59.
Location: Somewhere near the ocean or a large lake (like Utah or Michigan(??))

That's my guess.

Wow. Some intersting and creative guesses. No clear winners yet, though.
grin.gif

And the answer is Tadaa:

1960 Chrysler 300F at Daytona. One of seven four speed cars built for racing at Daytona. This particular car was owned/driven by Andy Granatelli and features twin Paxton superchargers. I believe he also ran this car at Bonneville Salt Flats.

How about some prizes? Like a free .01 Pep Boys oil filter or free .99/gal Delo 30 wt., winner pays shipping!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Russ300H:
1960 Chrysler 300F at Daytona. One of seven four speed cars built for racing at Daytona. This particular car was owned/driven by Andy Granatelli and features twin Paxton superchargers. I believe he also ran this car at Bonneville Salt Flats.

Sorry Russ, but you're only partially correct!
grin.gif

This is indeed Granatelli's 60 300F at Daytona, but the year he ran it there was 1961. He ran it in the Experimental Division that year and set a new two-way record of 172.166 mph, with a best one-way run of 179.472. The Showroom Stock Division record was set by a 61 300G at 143.027 mph (two-way run).

In the pictures above you can see that the hi-beam headlights have been replaced with intake horns for the twin Paxton superchargers. You can also see the four-speed stick shift in the floor (plus a lot of additional instrumentation for monitoring oil temp, intake temp, and boost), indicating the 300F he modified was one of the 300F Specials. Granatelli estimated that his blown 413 was putting out around 800 hp at 6800 rpm. At Bonneville he took this same car to a two-run of 184.049 mph, with a one-way run best of 189.990 mph.

You got me on a technicality!
wink.gif
The car is a '60, I had forgot he ran it in'61. Boy and I was looking forward to that .01 Pep Boys filter as a sure winner!!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back