Can you get sick from sneezing on your own food?

You're really asking whether you can get sick from your own germs.

Yes your own germs can make to sick. Rub pus or fecal material into a new wound - that wouldn't be good.

But here you would be transferring material from your mouth to your mouth. So no.

Or in the uncommon instance of a sneeze through your nose, from your nose to your mouth - which are connected anyway. Seems very unlikely.

stomach acid kills any virus that makes it down there.
Noro virus survives stomach acid just fine. Influenza viruses can be detected in feces. E Coli bacteria infected with a Shiga virus/phage are stomach acid resistant and as few as 10 of virus-infected bacterial cells can cause infection. And then there's a roster of bacteria, fungi (ie yeast), and protozea (ie Campylobacter) that survive stomach acid.

The question is, can you infect yourself with a pathogen present in your own snot? Yes, you can. For example, about one-third of the American population carries staph on their skin or in their nasal passages/sinuses yet they don't get sick. Should you however get the staph in your bloodstream, or if your immune system is compromised, the risk of infection becomes considerable. It is possible to get sepsis from food poisoning.

Noro virus survives stomach acid just fine. Influenza viruses can be detected in feces. E Coli bacteria infected with a Shiga virus/phage are stomach acid resistant and as few as 10 of virus-infected bacterial cells can cause infection. And then there's a roster of bacteria, fungi (ie yeast), and protozea (ie Campylobacter) that survive stomach acid.

The question is, can you infect yourself with a pathogen present in your own snot? Yes, you can. For example, about one-third of the American population carries staph on their skin or in their nasal passages/sinuses yet they don't get sick. Should you however get the staph in your bloodstream, or if your immune system is compromised, the risk of infection becomes considerable. It is possible to get sepsis from food poisoning.
Thus, you get some lady chain smoking in a Honda Accord Sport 2017 with a exhaust coming to do a daily IV of Vanco,Merrem, or Dapto. One of the positive outlooks of the covid virus it finally made people wash their hands more.

Thus, you get some lady chain smoking in a Honda Accord Sport 2017 with a exhaust coming to do a daily IV of Vanco,Merrem, or Dapto. One of the positive outlooks of the covid virus it finally made people wash their hands more.
Well, some healthcare workers really set a poor example, don't they?

I'm actually shocked at how poor people's hand washing skills are in general. Then there are those who cook while wearing rings, bracelets and watches while preparing or serving food as part of their job. That's actually in violation of food codes.

I'm actually shocked at how poor people's hand washing skills are in general. Then there are those who cook while wearing rings, bracelets and watches while preparing or serving food as part of their job. That's actually in violation of food codes.

I'm actually quite certain one is allowed to wear a plain wedding band according to the FDA during food prep. It is also quite a blanket statement given that members of this board live in different states, countries, and continents. I'm certain the rules that might apply at your location are not universal.

I'm actually quite certain one is allowed to wear a plain wedding band according to the FDA during food prep. It is also quite a blanket statement given that members of this board live in different states, countries, and continents. I'm certain the rules that might apply at your location are not universal.
There are always exceptions. Sensitivity towards religious symbols is one of them. As you say, wedding bands are an exception as long as they are plain and not ornate with crevices like most rings are. Of course, local laws and regulations vary widely. An unhygienic practice that's allowed is still unhygienic.

Federal regulations regarding food handling. (4) addresses jewelry.

Last edited:
I am currently indulging in Drunken Horse beer, tikka masala, cubed lamb kebobs, and fried rice. Pictures to follow later.

I don't mean intentionally, but if you're eating with a plate of food in front of you and happen to sneeze, can you get sick from that? I know if someone else has sneezed on it you can catch that other persons illness. I'm thinking no, but the answer might not be that obvious.
I'd say no, you can't.

I'd say no, you can't.
Unlikely doesn't mean impossible. It depends on the pathogen and on the exact circumstances of exposure and risk factors such as broken skin, wounds, ulcers, etc. But don't worry, your chance of getting a lethal infection of a heart valve from periodontal bacteria is much higher. Gum disease is a huge risk factor for cardiac health.

Back