Can you get drunk on mints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late night Hello, BITOGers....

In the "useless question # 697988776"-trend, I'm asking:

if you eat a box/pack of mints one by one and one after another, will you get drunk from the sugar/sweetener alcohol?

This assumes:
-you where not drunk before eating the mints
-you did not became drunk while eating the mints
-you did not imbibe after eating the mints

Thank you for being so "minty" at this late hours...

My old boss made Jack Daniels chocolate balls one Christmas years back for our dept when I worked at a clothing store. Minutes after we gobbled them all up,we were all totally wasted out on the sales floor,including her HAHA!! She comes stumbling out of the stockroom onto our sales floor and asked "Do you all think I put too much Jack Daniels in them?",as we were all walking around just laughing at everything!!

When I was 15 I got lit on vanilla cokes. Worked at a restaurant and had unlimited access to both soda and a liter bottle of extract, which happened to have 40% alcohol.

My daughter did her year 10 major science project on hygeine products and the like.

Blew 0.04 after two or three brands of toothpastes (was an alcohol sugar).
0.025 after spraying underarm deodorant (was alcohol based, so the mist is inhalable.
Mouthwash was insane, both alcohol and alcohol free.

First two cleared in minutes, the last in maybe 15.

Originally Posted by Shannow
My daughter did her year 10 major science project on hygeine products and the like.

0.025 after spraying underarm deodorant (was alcohol based, so the mist is inhalable.

My cousin in Alberta got nabbed for DUI. She thought she was in the clear when she got behind the wheel but was a tad over. (She's a bit of a functional alcoholic sort of thing so while legally over she most likely would have been ok to get home compared to folks that aren't heavy drinkers like her) I would never condone drunk driving EVER but just so you know why she thought she was ok.

They put an interlock in her vehicle as a result of the DUI and it wouldn't start the one day and she couldn't figure it out and when she took it wherever it is they service / install these things they told her Hairspray and mouthwash can set it off because it's super sensitive. Even hand sanitizer.

Last edited:
If you wash them down with peppermint schnapps, maybe.
wink.gif
Now, in reference to Shannow's point, if you're consuming something with an alcohol that isn't ethanol (and not just mouth alcohol, like from Shannow's daughter's experiment) and you're reading on the breathalyzer, don't contact poison control, contact a mortician.

Originally Posted by Garak
If you wash them down with peppermint schnapps, maybe.
wink.gif
Now, in reference to Shannow's point, if you're consuming something with an alcohol that isn't ethanol (and not just mouth alcohol, like from Shannow's daughter's experiment) and you're reading on the breathalyzer, don't contact poison control, contact a mortician.

...does this assumes that the ethanol containing other deterrent stuff (like bitter stuff and traces of methanol) was not filtered crudely through a loaf of bread?
(oh, my young days and crazy stories of people getting drunk no matter what....)

And I thought it was an eye doctor before the mortician.....

Yes, maybe the eye doctor can refer to a mortician.
wink.gif
I know that a few things besides ethanol will react with potassium dichromate in the very old breathalysers, too, but if the reading shows significantly, it's probably at a lethal concentration. And I'm sure bread didn't help.

There used to be a confectionery here that would sell Lysol to those addicted to non-beverage alcohol, and she made a mint doing it. Yikes.

Originally Posted by eljefino
When I was 15 I got lit on vanilla cokes. Worked at a restaurant and had unlimited access to both soda and a liter bottle of extract, which happened to have 40% alcohol.

El Jefe,
I'll raise you one:

I got offered my first drink in 5th grade (I was really tall for my age) by the father of one of my school-mates. The guy just wanted an "afternoon snack"...

Originally Posted by StevieC

My cousin in Alberta got nabbed for DUI. She thought she was in the clear when she got behind the wheel but was a tad over. (She's a bit of a functional alcoholic sort of thing so while legally over she most likely would have been ok to get home compared to folks that aren't heavy drinkers like her) I would never condone drunk driving EVER but just so you know why she thought she was ok.

They put an interlock in her vehicle as a result of the DUI and it wouldn't start the one day and she couldn't figure it out and when she took it wherever it is they service / install these things they told her Hairspray and mouthwash can set it off because it's super sensitive. Even hand sanitizer.

My ex went to rehab. Dropping her off the staff sent me home with the bottle of Listerine she packed. I was shocked that people get so desperate that they would drink Listerine for the booze in it.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

Originally Posted by pandus13

El Jefe,
I'll raise you one:

I got offered my first drink in 5th grade (I was really tall for my age) by the father of one of my school-mates. The guy just wanted an "afternoon snack"...

Huh, what?
Is this a me too movement story?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

My ex went to rehab. Dropping her off the staff sent me home with the bottle of Listerine she packed. I was shocked that people get so desperate that they would drink Listerine for the booze in it.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

It's pretty bad with our Native Indians in some communities drinking mouth wash, huffing hair spray and drinking hand sanitizer to feed their addiction. It's sad.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Originally Posted by pandus13

El Jefe,
I'll raise you one:

Huh, what?
Is this a me too movement story?

I said I was offered, not that I got drunk on it or that i consumed.....
Than 2 years later those young 18 years old folks going in the army... A full train of them. I knew not to drink from already drunk strangers...

Strange world i grew up in... Now 30+ years after, my kids still cannot believe some of my stories...

It's pretty bad with our Native Indians in some communities drinking mouth wash, huffing hair spray and drinking hand sanitizer to feed their addiction. It's sad.

I'm behind the times:
I knew about the blue rubbing alcohol filtered trough a loaf of bread
or making alcohol from fermented potatoes or fermented shredded sugar beets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back