Can we/you use your RES while the battery is on a Maintainer?

Okay, here is the question but let me tell a bit of the vehicles history.
My SIL's 2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L 4 cyl AWD.
Several years ago, she had a RES(remote engine start) installed aftermarket. :eek: Even against my better judgement & advise.

Although not right away but within a year, the vehicle started to develop electrical issues(I won't get into them all) however, the battery does in fact drain down on occasion. Otherwise it is a great vehicle.
The RES has not been detected as the cause of the electrical problems & battery rundown, it is just suspect mainly due to the Terrain didn't have these issues prior/when new. Although this year GMC Terrain is known for some electrical issues, though no diagnostic has been performed as a process of detection or elimination. OK? Next...

My remedy for this is to... install a battery maintainer or TENDER directly to the battery and plug it in every night.
My questions are:
*While the maintainer/tender is still plugged in from the previous evening, can she use the RES while in the house?
*AND THEN go out to the SUV, unplug it from the wall socket and get in the car?
*OR, do maintainers need to be UNPLUGGED while using RES?

Having the maintainer unplugged is defeating its purpose of course as she'd have to go out in the garage and unplug the maintainer...she might just as well climb in the car and start the engine herself! Right?:unsure:

What say you?

CB

One has to unplug it before leaving, so why not just unplug it before starting?

Problem solved/avoided!

Not to mention, muscle memory won't have you just driving away with a connected maintainer as soon as you start the vehicle.

Unplug it first and then operate as usual.

Last edited:
I say put the maintainer on a timer so it's already off in the morning.
Yeah but, she may not drive the car for several days(retired) and doesn't often need to go out every single day. And other times, she does in fact to out daily. So, not sure if this is an option especially since she will need to unplug it when going out anyway.

One has to unplug it before leaving, so why not just unplug it before starting?

Problem solved/avoided!

Not to mention, muscle memory won't have you just driving away with a connected maintainer as soon as you start the vehicle.

Unplug it first and then operate as usual.
NO! Then she'd have to go outside to unplug the maintainer???? To go back in the warm house to use the RES????? I'm talking about RES here!
As with all of us, she wants to start the car from inside the )))WARM((( home. That would be defeating the purpose of having a RES in the first place.

After she uses the RES from inside the warm home, she can then walk in front of the car to get to the drivers side and get in with heat ON.
So, she will unplug it(after using the RES), walk by the plug(bend over to unplug it) on her way to the driver side to get in. It's actually a perfect setup for the way she drives into her garage.

And I am assuming that if the maintainer/tender is plugged in when using the RES, that the maintainer will just go into OFF mode/not charging mode as the alternator will now be taking over.

But, I just want to make sure that this is OK to do.

NO! Then she'd have to go outside to unplug the maintainer???? To go back in the warm house to use the RES????? I'm talking about RES here!
As with all of us, she wants to start the car from inside the )))WARM((( home. That would be defeating the purpose of having a RES in the first place.

After she uses the RES from inside the warm home, she can then walk in front of the car to get to the drivers side and get in with heat ON.
So, she will unplug it(after using the RES), walk by the plug(bend over to unplug it) on her way to the driver side to get in. It's actually a perfect setup for the way she drives into her garage.

And I am assuming that if the maintainer/tender is plugged in when using the RES, that the maintainer will just go into OFF mode/not charging mode as the alternator will now be taking over.

But, I just want to make sure that this is OK to do.

Okay, I get it.

Perhaps the right move is to diagnose the problem that requires the Battery Maintainer. After all, the vehicle isn't on a maintainer except for at home. Seems there is some risk of it discharging or simply no longer working for her away from home.

If your goal is to look out for SIL, then solving the root problem is the best course of action.

What does the documentation for the maintainer say about this?

If you decide to proceed with this COA for a while, then consult the maintainer instructions and do what it suggests.

no diagnostic has been performed
That seems to be the BITOG way here. At the least look at the date sticker on the battery, maybe it is just a tired battery that should be replaced.

Yes it is OK to start the engine with a charger connected, but it is a headache to use one all the time.

Okay, I get it.

Perhaps the right move is to diagnose the problem that requires the Battery Maintainer. After all, the vehicle isn't on a maintainer except for at home. Seems there is some risk of it discharging or simply no longer working for her away from home.

If your goal is to look out for SIL, then solving the root problem is the best course of action.

What does the documentation for the maintainer say about this?

If you decide to proceed with this COA for a while, then consult the maintainer instructions and do what it suggests.
She is 66 yrs old & alone. And in not going to have it diagnosed.
She doesn’t have a maintainer yet and is only entertaining the thought as per my recommendation.
That seems to be the BITOG way here. At the least look at the date sticker on the battery, maybe it is just a tired battery that should be replaced.

Yes it is OK to start the engine with a charger connected, but it is a headache to use one all the time.
She is not a BITOG member.
The battery is newish ~ a year old as this issue killed the OE Battery.
She is also not a car guy/gal and just wants to band-aid the problem which is when I recommended maintainer/tender.
I think this will work in her case.

Java,
I agree that the system needs to be diagnosed and possibly disconnect the aftermarket RES completely if it is the culprit.

I run maintainers on my vehicles in the winter. I prefer to unplug them before starting but I have no evidence to suggest this is correct. My 3500 has the factory remote start and I will start and run it for a bit before going out to unplug the maintainer and toss the keys in. No issues at all.

Been remote starting on a low amperage " smart" maintainer/ charger for years.

Fire it up - come out 10-15 min later, disconnect, drive away.

Thank you^^^ BrianF & UncleDave
These are the answers(Can/Cannot) that I was looking for.
I do this in my '80 Firebird(not RES) but, just start it and then unplug the maintainer. NO Computer on this car.
I just wasn't sure if the RES could be used while the vehicle was still plugged in to the maintainer on NEW VEHICLES with more computer equipment than '69 Apollo Moon Landing.

I also want to add that I am NOT looking for the answer that aligns with my wants, I am looking for the answer so I can make the correct decision. And if the answer doesn't align with my thought process I won't do it. Plain & Simple! ;)

Thanks to all, (y)

CB

Starting the car with the maintainer connected and plugged in will have no ill effect on either the vehicle's electrical system, or the maintainer itself. These maintainers put out very minimal power, and they won't hurt anything.

I always put a 3" X 5" index card on the dash to remind me, (and my wife), to unplug the maintainer before forgetting, and driving off with it still plugged in.

Back