Can we trust any manufacturer about anything anymore? (Using my Toyota transmission as an example)

In 2020 Mike Sweers and the powers that be at Toyota decided to remove the external transmission cooler on the very old 6-speed used in my Tundra. Although I don't fully understand the specifics, I believe this change had more to do with a change in the AC system which somehow necessitated removing the external cooler. Weirdly, you can add an external aftermarket cooler without any issues. Mike and his team claim they tested the transmission without the external cooler and all is good! Except, I don't believe him, at least not in all cases.

They made no further changes other than a very small hockey puck size "heat exchanger" that attempt to warm and cool the transmission fluid by exchanging heat with the engine coolant. It's still the same WS fluid. They still claim it's "lifetime fluid". There were no internal changes made to the transmission. So from 2007 until 2019, it was needed but magically now it's not needed? Every other pickup or vehicle with a tow package uses an external cooler but my Tundra doesn't need it? Interestingly, ALL other large vehicles that used the same 6-speed continued to use an external cooler but now my Tundra doesn't need it?
I'm not too worried about my truck as I don't tow BUT I plan to refresh the fluid every 50k miles. My transmission routinely reached 225F on flat highway, unladen, cruizing at 75mph. Not super hot but warmer than I'd like considering there is no load and it's well-known heat kills transmission fluid over time. There are quite a few stories of 2020 and 2021 transmissions overheating while pulling a load well within the tow rating. There are stories of the transmissions overheating simply doing a slow crawl up long hills or while going uphill in reverse. Prior to 2020, these stories are very sparse.

Mike Sweers is on record stating there is no problem. I have repeatedly goated him on social media (and interestingly) he will reply stating there is no problem. I don't believe him. There are dealer techs on record stating if it was their truck and they towed they would add the external cooler. There are dealerships that will add an aftermarket external cooler kit no questions asked.

Now here's my point. Maybe I'm totally wrong and Mike is spot on and these transmissions will go +250K miles but with how poorly many manufacturers have engineered and tested vehicles in the last decade and with how many recalls and attempted coverups or complete reluctance to fix problems when there is clearly an issue, I just don't trust any manufactures anymore. Is it just a lack of expertise? Is it just cost-cutting above all else to maximize profits? Some combination of both?

TruCool LPD is a great cooler - I installed a few. They have to be spaced tight with the radiator stack. Does not matter much when doing 60 mph - but in stop/go traffic the fan flow requires the correct spacing …
This is important to me because I make long runs in sand …

I like Gates hoses made for ATF …

I would be annoyed that they didn't give you the cooler they removed. I try to think logically about these things. IMO, the cooler is needed if you want to adhere to the lifetime requirement and tow. Since you plan on changing the ATF at 50k miles regardless then relying on the heat exchanger alone is probably okay. Otherwise add an aftermarket cooler. Another reason to have the cooler is when you decide to sell the truck

The only reason I'm not thinking about a cooler is that 90% of my driving is 8 miles to and from work and my transmission temps never get over 165F either way. Another 8% of my driving is around town where my temps hover around 200F. Maybe 2% of my driving is highway where they will see 225F. I never tow, I only drive about 10K miles per year, and will likely get rid of this truck with less than 100K miles in 5-6 years. I also have an 8yr/100K Toyota extended warranty and so it will be covered the entire time I own it.

The only reason I'm not thinking about a cooler is that 90% of my driving is 8 miles to and from work and my transmission temps never get over 165F either way. Another 8% of my driving is around town where my temps hover around 200F. Maybe 2% of my driving is highway where they will see 225F. I never tow, I only drive about 10K miles per year, and will likely get rid of this truck with less than 100K miles in 5-6 years. I also have an 8yr/100K Toyota extended warranty and so it will be covered the entire time I own it.
Then I wouldn't worry about it.

My friends dad had a cooler installed on his GM. Cooler line came off and it pumped out the fluid before he even knew what was going on. Transmission was done for. The dealer installed the aftermarket cooler. The dealer ended up with the bill for the transmission. I bet your dealer doesn't want to be in the same situation.

My friends dad had a cooler installed on his GM. Cooler line came off and it pumped out the fluid before he even knew what was going on. Transmission was done for. The dealer installed the aftermarket cooler. The dealer ended up with the bill for the transmission. I bet your dealer doesn't want to be in the same situation.
I’ve never asked the dealership. As for the case above, aftermarket are not it still has to be installed correctly. My guess is of a cooler line came off it was not installed correctly.

As mentioned above, Aftermarket coolers can have reliability issues. Choose carefully and install properly.

A fluid to fluid heat exchanger can work quite well, but as always, it needs to have enough heat exchange surface area to be effective. The little ones can't transfer much heat. Remember, water transfers heat fast, but light oils are much more reluctant to do so.

There are some fantastic engineering papers on this, and we do know the BTU per hour possible with a Water to Light Oil heat exchanger per square foot of area. While it's impossible to give an accurate number here because we don't know the exact temps or surface area involved, suffice to say it can be 6x worse in some situations. 160 degree water is not going to pull much heat from 240 degree transmission fluid with 5 square inches of heat transfer surface area. (put simply, small ain't good enough)

EDIT: I also wanted to add that viscosity, and therefore lubricity plummets as temperatures rise. Some road race cars can use 0W-water engine oils just fine, if they keep the oil temp at 160 degrees. However, when a serious oil temp excursion happens, the inevitable happens. Transmissions are no different. The hotter the fluid, the lower the protection.

20190623_114702.jpg

Put the cooler on.

- it is unclear what year your truck is; please add that info
- it's difficult for us to know if the truck "needs" the cooler; the only way you can know is to compare/contrast temps during actual use and also get some UOAs which would tell you if the fluid is holding up OK in the current conditions
- lifetime fluids are a joke; just because they can be used that long, does not mean they should be used that long
- the liquid to liquid coolers can be very effective, if sized properly (I prefer them, as they both warm and cool the fluid to the proper operational temp)

While I don't disagree with your expectation of 250k miles, our expectations and a manufacturer's expectations are very different.

You're a bad customer for expecting your vehicle to last 250k+ but you're a good consumer for expecting such.

In our modern world, of the people that can readily afford new vehicles, how many actually keep them for 10+ years? We're the minority.

I can’t tell you if a manufacturer is trustworthy or not.

But I will say that I’ve added better cooling, and filtration, when the manufacturers have skimped, or done less than I would like.

I have not regretted the addition. No cheap junk, though, quality cooler, lines, filter, mount, and thermostat. I believe yours will still have the thermostat mounted on the transmission, where mine is, saving you that component.

This is a hotly debated issue…

I own a 2020 Tundra and have been presented ZERO evidence compelling the argument one way or the other (IN MY CASE). On a few rare occasions the temp has spiked to about 230 ish however the temps drop extremely quick so in my opinion the puck is doing something right.

I have done a ton of research on the subject. The pre 2019’s with the factory installed coolers are usually within single digits of mine (in some cases as little as 4 degrees). Yes heat will cause a transmission to break down sooner but I don’t buy for one second 10 degrees is going to have the same transmission die at warranty’s end vs the 250k + of a cooler installed one. Life time fluids is BS which goes to your point OP about not trusting manufacturers.

There are many owners installing aftermarket coolers which are lowering the temps past that of the factory installed coolers. They are much higher quality and have larger surface areas hence the better performance. NO ONE addresses this PERIOD, it gets completely glossed over. Again these temps continually get compared to the puck version of the Tundra. That’s a inaccurate comparison and simply a misrepresentation of facts.

Speed is another factor glossed over. The Tundra manual states 65 mph max for towing, I have never had any problems with transmission temps at that speed. Many people balk at this. It’s highly common to have a 1/2 ton towing a travel trailer at 75 mph + in the left lane flying past you in my area of the country. This will kill a transmission but it doesn’t stop anybody from driving like that.

I drove commercial trucks for many years and dropping a gear in the mountains greatly helps to reduce tranny temps and keep them in check. Same goes for my Tundra when towing.

No black and white answer has been presented. In my honest opinion it’s a case by case basis. There are some that would benefit and there are some that would not.

Last edited:
Back