Can we stop calling Motorcraft "Synthetic Blend"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In mine and other board members' opinion, a semi or blend oil should actually contain true synthetic componets. Does anyone have anything to confirm MC has anything other than G-II and G-III content? Any PAO? It's nice that it contains good amounts of the petrolium-derived HC bases, but even though the label says "semi" can and should we call it "synthetic blend? It's priced like a conventional and has no base content that other conventional oils have.

Maxlife is the real blend having 12-22% PAO.
fruit.gif

When we stop calling Castrol syntec, PP, valvoline synpower and the others synthetic. and Durablend a blend. Sure.

The sametics are correct by todays definitions.

Quote:

Maxlife is the real blend having 12-22% PAO.
fruit.gif

I've seen that too for the Maxlife....which is good I guess with 12-22......Do you know what the TropArtic blend I recently got is? Any specs on that as far as if they have 12-?? etc?

Quote:

When we stop calling Castrol syntec, PP, valvoline synpower and the others synthetic. and Durablend a blend. Sure.

Ding, ding, ding! You took the words right out of my mouth.

The Conoco oil marketing seems to be working on some people. Mix some group III and group I oil to make your entry level product and call it a "Synthetic Blend". Other companies have already conditioned the public to think that a Synthetic Blend is a better oil than a conventional oil.

However, if another company (Shell, Chevron, etc.) uses a Group II+ base oil to reach the same performance level Conoco gets to by blending some lesser oil and some better oil then it isn't a blend. The real difference between the two ways of getting to the end point ... nothing! Conoco had to use a better overall base oil to hit the GF-4/SM specs and didn't have a popular synthetic blend oil brand to worry about canabilizing, so they went this route. BITOG readers should not be fooled by the sleight of hand.

The whole think is marketing #@$%! and should be ignored.

Call it whatever you want though, then ignore the name!

Quote:

The Conoco oil marketing seems to be working on some people. Mix some group III and group I oil to make your entry level product and call it a "Synthetic Blend". Other companies have already conditioned the public to think that a Synthetic Blend is a better oil than a conventional oil.

However, if another company (Shell, Chevron, etc.) uses a Group II+ base oil to reach the same performance level Conoco gets to by blending some lesser oil and some better oil then it isn't a blend. The real difference between the two ways of getting to the end point ... nothing! Conoco had to use a better overall base oil to hit the GF-4/SM specs and didn't have a popular synthetic blend oil brand to worry about canabilizing, so they went this route. BITOG readers should not be fooled by the sleight of hand.

The whole think is marketing #@$%! and should be ignored.

Call it whatever you want though, then ignore the name!

Call it whatever YOU want, but this Motorcraft "Synthetic Blend" sure does give good results on UOA's, doesn't it? I say that if it gives the same results as PAO's, so what if it is manufactured by a different procedure? Mobil 1 calls this type oil synthetic now, and they ought to know.

It's clear that MC "Synthetic Blend" is just capitalizing on calling their oil a "Blend" when it's no different than other conventional oils. Sure, there have been industry-wide improvements on formulations of basic SM-spec oils. Calling it a "Blend" because that's kinda what's needed anyway to meet SM specs is a cheap marketing ploy. I didn't think people around here would fall for it, but apparently some think MC is the equivalent of other companies' mid-range products. Without ANY PAO content, I'll assert it's not. Not likely as good as DuraBlend, C7500, Syntec Blend et al. It's a conventional oil made with the base componets required to meet current industry specs, NOT a premium or mid-range product that's priced lower. I think it's a great oil and well worth the price, but let's be realistic about the marketing bull. We don't accept that junk labeling from other companies, MC should not get a pass.

Like was said, MC has no mid-grade product to canibalize, so slap on a "Synthetic Blend" label to fool the public. Nice.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean semantics?

Now that may be one of the most ironic posts I've ever read.

laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean semantics?

LOL, go ahead & nit-pick Bryan on spelling, I'm sure he can handle it!
grin.gif

But my advice is to leave Bruce381 alone, as we need him here for his wealth of experience & technical knowledge!
thumbsup.gif

This is very educational!

I admit to being one of those that thought the Kendall synth blend was the equivalent of other mid grade oils like Mobil 7500or Durablend. My Honda dealer carries Kendal and was pitching it as a synthetic blend. I guess its true - never trust a salesman!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back