Can We Revisit Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W?

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Don't "listen to the dealer". What matters is what Toyota Motors says.

LoL....some people are like horses with blinders...

I am using 75w90 gl5 in my LC...will change for gl4 fluid in my mt since it shifted more smoothly...

Yaris has mmt gearbox...C53A...intended for 75w gl4....non MMT versions with C53 has 75w90 gl4 in units.....I had put tranself nfj 75w80 in it and it runs as before with whatever fill it had inside...

Most Toyota Dealer invoices folks post for MT & TC service is bulk 75W-90 from what I remember reading. I didn't call or ask my local dealer what they used due to trust issues. My 2012 Tacoma Owners Manual recommends 75W-90 GL4/GL5 for MT & TC. I drained and refilled my truck MT/TC for the first time earlier this year @ 80,000 miles using Red Line MT 75W-90 GL4. The original gear oils still looked great. Guessing it was the Toyota high priced gear oil.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by N Heat
Local dealer told me today they would have to special order the 75w as they do not use it to service vehicles. I was told that I could sleep comfortably at night with a good 75w 90 in the transfer case.

Don't "listen to the dealer". What matters is what Toyota Motors says.

I get that stance, but with so many dealers using 75w 90, Im sure we woulda heard by now if there was lubricant related failures of TCs. And why the [censored] wouldnt dealers be taking advantage of the opportunity to rape us on some boutique fluids?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by N Heat
Local dealer told me today they would have to special order the 75w as they do not use it to service vehicles. I was told that I could sleep comfortably at night with a good 75w 90 in the transfer case.

Regular old Mobil 1 75w90 syn in my transfer case in my second gen, it's a popular choice among Taco owners.

When I do the t-case in my parent's ‘18 GX460 this is what I'll use, but that's a ways off as it only has 8k miles. Figure I'll do it at 50k along with the diffs (SVG 75w90 there) and then maybe again around 150k

How often are you guys doing your transfer cases? I have 234K miles on my 2WD Tacoma and have done the diff twice--at around 130K miles (M1 75W90) and again at 230K miles (SynPower 75W90). I'm just curious what the recommended interval is for the t-case if I ever get a 4WD.

How often are you guys doing your transfer cases? I have 234K miles on my 2WD Tacoma and have done the diff twice--at around 130K miles (M1 75W90) and again at 230K miles (SynPower 75W90). I'm just curious what the recommended interval is for the t-case if I ever get a 4WD.
30k on axles and TC

Not to necrothread, but what about the Toyota transfer cases with center differentials(Sequoia, Lexus GX, Land Cruiser) that are full-time 4wd and cannot be put in 2wd. In other words, the center differential is working all of the time.

Would 75W-90 still be ok in these?

Normally I would just throw Ravenol 75W in there but its suddenly seems to be available through one vendor and the shipping is as much as a liter.

Last edited:
Not to necrothread, but what about the Toyota transfer cases with center differentials(Sequoia, Lexus GX, Land Cruiser) that are full-time 4wd and cannot be put in 2wd. In other words, the center differential is working all of the time.

Would 75W-90 still be ok in these?

Normally I would just throw Ravenol 75W in there but its suddenly seems to be available through one vendor and the shipping is as much as a liter.
HPL makes a compatible oil. Give them a call. My next transfer case change will be HPL 75W

My Highlander always on x-case and diff have had 75W110 since 2006 and they have 238K on the odometer. Follow manufacturer interval of 100K and has worked like a charm. Don’t waste you time on OEM fluids the x-case and diffs are dumb mechanical components that can take any speced fluid. Give it RL/Amsoil and they won’t bother you for a very long time

Back